4 replies to this topic

#1 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

Album: Untitled Album
0 images
0 comments

I'll take a guess and say all are green sunfish. I dipnetted those two juveniles.
      On hook and line i've caught mostly green sunfish here in the past never more than 15 feet from shore.
       Also Bluegills and Pumkinseeds at a much lower ratio. Once in a while {rare] a golden shiner.
         Landed a Largemouth bass here last summer,it spit the hook flopped around and was gone. 
      Photo 1,2 were approx. one inch. Photo 3 was 7 inches and last was 4 inches.

#2 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:53 PM

Definitely not all greens. Green sunfish have longer bodies and larger mouths, plus green squiggle marks on their operculums, and it's evident even in very young fry. I'd say bluegills for both adults, and it's pretty hard to tell with the fry at that size, but maybe pumpkins? Heads look round enough for pumpkins. 

#3 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

At that size, fish #1 & 2 would have a hint of red at the tip of the operculum and little or no vertical banding if they were p-seeds. Bluegill is a better guess, certainly in such a system.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

Agree with Betta and Fundulus -- those adults are definitely bluegill, and the juvies probably are too.  I moved this thread out of "Feeder Tank Finds" and into the "Sunfish" section.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone, i see what all of you are saying.  :oops:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users