Photo

Stripetail, spottail, and fringed darter from southern Illinois.

12 replies to this topic

#1 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

Finally got around to doing this trip!  Blog posts have the stories to go along with the photos.

http://bencantrellfi...est-part-1.html

http://bencantrellfi...est-part-2.html

The three targets:

Stripetail Darter (Etheostoma kennicotti)

BBwU8Wqid0Vc-YVJHIBrI4ehdEXkV8X4OAM_Gadc

Spottail Darter (Etheostoma squamiceps)

u7vT4qYEI-iT0_890smzCShGtHKuTAORSwQq_Gj5

Fringed Darter (Etheostoma crossopterum)

ukd6Fg3ujZ_L6H7r5jZg7ff3OE7GV_FBtcyD98sX

#2 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Here are some of the pesky bycatch.  :tongue:

Rainbow Darter

r60iEuh5x-dpWVtIJq2DPWHPjpSp-uUiLlBdogxq

Central Stoneroller

DpME2ZA1n-T3GmHwGxnV8o3f3waSYjS-F2xCeQm6

Banded Sculpin

YM7H_223IXZPSTvYJ6_0IB4v7bgoPqlp6Q_2O-ly

Creek Chubsucker

_1S3KYJzq3hDrc900H6FgjhIlNynQ7MGjBA_6i63

Logperch

OEI_VzpRLyVGJijvxbwUFZcDcaxiYLX8_YEhreP9

Black Redhorse

ggRarcv3QmOnbqd_p52WevkuaGVDNgKNoZtbhwf5

Golden Redhorse

tHLNaM1kNLt35ZoV4Pc4j1Cdo61SRRlqNOLsqktw

Black Crappie

MRGHxtTMdrsg7JozY-uhHGkO8vZu-1OlgvxtTvuK

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

The 3 target species look very "Fantail complex"-y.  What they lack in color and splendor, I wonder how they behave? 

Do you ever stick your face down in the water and watch?  Or are you only in it for putting microscopic holes in their lips?  :biggrin:

Nick L.

#4 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

No, I still haven't tried snorkeling.  However, I do spend a fair amount of time watching the fish from above before I get out my fishing rod.  I think it makes me a lot more efficient because I don't waste time catching too many of the really common fish (i.e. rainbow darters).

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

I meant in terms of snorkeling to see how they behave normally and interact with the environment/other fish/what part of the habitat they prefer, and so on.

In the world of darter lip piercings, you are a legend.  Or possibly to them, you are Jack the Ripper---minus the whole killing part.

Nick L.

#6 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

I s there any obvious reason that I don't see the photos, just large gaps?

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#7 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

I s there any obvious reason that I don't see the photos, just large gaps?

Hmm, I'm able to see them.  I bet the issue has to do with Picasa being retired, so now I have to get the URLs from Google Photos.  They make it really difficult to link photos in non-Google sites.  When I right click and choose "copy image address", I get:

https://lh3.googleus...xQ=w926-h617-no

The forum doesn't let me post photos this way, but I found a workaround by adding "-temp.jpg" to the end.  Like this:

https://lh3.googleus...617-no-temp.jpg

It's frustrating to hear that it's not working for some people.  I'm going to be devastated if I have to move my tens of thousands of photos from Google to some other site.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Ben, there is a ton of talk on the Google forums about this and people are very upset... but so far Google does not seem to be responding at all or fixing it in any way.  I definitely stopped using picasa because of it.

And oh, by the way, neither of those links you posted show me anything... and I am using Windows 10 and Chrome.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

Not happy about this.  For now the photos are in the blog posts.

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:39 AM

I had to go to the full blog post, too. Loved it though. Glad to see some new Cantrell adventures!

And Nick, you are correct about Ben being legendary among fish with piercing fetishes. Rumor has it a lot of them are intentionally positioning themselves around his bait so as to get foul-hooked and get a navel piercing!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:59 AM

I get lost as soon as the word technology is mentioned.  So I don't know if the images not linking is related to a forum problem.......but I just noticed that the post counts for members has gone awry.  "Irate" only has 269 posts, and used to be #1 with 3K or something.  So a bunch of posts have been disassociated with members again?  Sorry, I know this isn't really relevant to the OP but wanted to see if it means their is another glitch in The Matrix.

Cool fish, BTW Ben.  What's your count up to on species caught H&L?

Nick L.

#12 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • The Ozarks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:04 AM

Good stuff, Ben. The spottail and fringed darters are cool, as is the tubercled chubsucker.

#13 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • The Ozarks

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

Nick, I think the issue with the photos not showing up in this thread has more to do with google photos than the forum software. And I believe the post counts were reset when the username issue occurred in November 2014, but I don't think there have been any more related issues since then. So the post counts are accurate going back to that date. The posts before that still exist, they just aren't properly assigned to the author's username.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users