Photo

Lessening Filter Current

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

I have a 30 gallon tank with Rainbow Shiners, a Marigined Madtom, and some plants (Its not heavily planted, but im adding more and have A LOT of time before I add the sunnies), I plan to add Blackbanded Sunfish
Yes I am aware that for Blackbanded Sunfish I need
-A Scientific Collection permit (well in my state at least)
-A way to get food to them pas the much more vigorous Rainbow Shiners (I made a post asking about this a LONG time ago, and the solution im going to use is a PVC pipe "chute" to get live food to the blackbanded's while the rainbows are distracted with their favorite flake food)
-Slow, almost still water
-Yes, I am willing to move the Rainbows, but only as a last resort

The filter in the tank is of a powerful variety designed for turtles, and the effect of current is very noticeable and strong (for a filter current), I already have some driftwood that will likely never sink, but as there is a lot of floating debris in the Blackbanded Sunfish habitat, I dont mind this, but it wont suffice in keeping currents down to an acceptable level
Is there anything I can do to mediate the current to a point Blackbanded Sunnies will tolerate, or should I swap the filter for one that would work better?

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

Your problem is temporary. The margined madtom with resolve it all for you eventually.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:47 PM

What kind of filter? You can put a sponge or filter pad over the intake. Depending on the tyoe of filter you can silicon some of the holes on the intake strainer.

Edited by Cu455, 29 April 2016 - 07:48 PM.

#4 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

What about diverting the current towards a side of the tank so it's not a direct flow but spreads it out? I'm not sure this will get you what you want, but it may be worth a try. Other than that, you could try to place a sponge or something at the output but this may flood the filter itself. Just trial and error and see what happens. I think your best bet is a different filter.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#5 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

What kind of filter? You can put a sponge or filter pad over the intake. Depending on the tyoe of filter you can silicon some of the holes on the intake strainer.

Internal Canister filter designed for turtles
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000HHM9BE
I think its this filter, Im just unsure of the GPH

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#6 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:15 PM

Your problem is temporary. The margined madtom with resolve it all for you eventually.

So far I haven't had any madtoms of any species behave predatory, but I will take the hint, im considering moving him to the same tank as my tadpole madtoms

-From an art book I read

#7 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

What about diverting the current towards a side of the tank so it's not a direct flow but spreads it out? I'm not sure this will get you what you want, but it may be worth a try. Other than that, you could try to place a sponge or something at the output but this may flood the filter itself. Just trial and error and see what happens. I think your best bet is a different filter.

I actually do have a diversion (A piece of egg crate with some mesh on it and moss inside) on the back of the tank, as well as a pile of water-adjusted sticks and leaves up against it
I just need a way for a different sized piece of egg crate to not be pushed by the current, how about suction cups attached to the egg crate with zip ties (Which I use to hold the mesh on, anyway)

-From an art book I read

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

So far I haven't had any madtoms of any species behave predatory, but I will take the hint, im considering moving him to the same tank as my tadpole madtoms

previous threads here (one my own personal experience)

http://forum.nanfa.o...om/?hl=margined

http://forum.nanfa.o...er/?hl=margined

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:23 PM

I think you would be fine with the flow. I would just use it and if the fish looks stressed out them worry about it.

The filter is advertised as a reptile filter because it can be used in low levels of water.

#10 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:18 PM

Can you add a diy spray bar to it? That way you can spread the output across a wide area.

Edited by thedood, 30 April 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#11 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:37 PM

I think you would be fine with the flow. I would just use it and if the fish looks stressed out them worry about it.

The filter is advertised as a reptile filter because it can be used in low levels of water.

So I guess that means my primary concern is the Rainbow Shiners and their speed allowing them to get to food first

Can you add a diy spray bar to it? That way you can spread the output across a wide area.

I dont think so (Even if I could I dont really have the skill for that)
I think im going to go with having a buffer of some kind on front of the filter

-From an art book I read

#12 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

Ive taken a fancy with building diy filters. Can you post the brand and model of the filter?

#13 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

Ive taken a fancy with building diy filters. Can you post the brand and model of the filter?

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000HHM9BE

-From an art book I read

#14 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for sharing the link, I didnt realize you had already posted one, my apologies. I shouldnt post while I'm watching a movie. Not much to mod with it. Can you stash it behind something in the tank to break up the flow?

#15 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for sharing the link, I didnt realize you had already posted one, my apologies. I shouldnt post while I'm watching a movie. Not much to mod with it. Can you stash it behind something in the tank to break up the flow?

Yes, I already have a kind of barrier in mind
Egg crate http://www.homedepot...EGG-5/202653781
that kind of crate, not actual egg containers
wrapped with mesh, and zip-tied to suction cups on one wall, should be an effective enough barrier

-From an art book I read

#16 thedood

thedood
  • NANFA Member
  • Illinois

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:32 PM

That should be effective. Any plans to put a moss/other plant carpet on the mesh?

Edited by thedood, 01 May 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#17 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

That should be effective. Any plans to put a moss/other plant carpet on the mesh?

I already did it
turns out I did not need the suction cups (but will add them soon anyway)
There is moss (A local aquatic species from a swamp in my area) in between the eggcrate and the mesh, unfortunately I dont have enough to really "hide" the whole structure with moss, I just use it as a place for snails and bugs to hide-out-of-reach of the fishes

-From an art book I read

#18 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

13062355_1790609761167660_91200090669497

-From an art book I read

#19 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

Here is a picture of the tank
The eggcrate/mesh structure on the leftmost side has since been moved on front of the filter and has done a good job in mediating the current

-From an art book I read

#20 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

previous threads here (one my own personal experience)

http://forum.nanfa.o...om/?hl=margined

http://forum.nanfa.o...er/?hl=margined

I have moved the Margined madtom to the same tank as my tadpole madtoms
currently, there are no issues

Edited by loopsnj64, 01 May 2016 - 04:25 PM.

-From an art book I read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users