SMall frogs in a tank as food?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

Well around here there are a few ponds and lakes that are crawling in these frogs that grow to about 1" or less. They typically grow into brown, black, or red. If I put a few fake lilypads in my tank and maybe a piece of driftwood sticking out to the suface could some survive for a while? I would probably keep a large stock of them ready to restock the tank but I figured they would be another cool thing to watch them hunt/raise. What do you think the frogs eat?

#2 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

If you have any largies or bullheads also in the tank I know from experience you wont have any frogs left quickly. I gather baby bullfrogs in the early summer to feed my catfish.

As a kid I kept bull frogs from tadpole stage. They would eat any/every worm/cricket/feeder guppy/other frogs/ even frozen mice when big enough. Once while fishing I caught a 2 pound bullfrog on a 5 inch golden shiner! Yea I was a little pissed but the frog was freakishly strong.

Guess it depends what species your gonna keep, but mixing fish and frogs your probably going to find missing tankmates often.

#3 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Well I guss the idea is like having a school of feeder minnows in a tank that like they will eat them but they will have enough safety/restockings at least over the summer where I can keep them alive.

My tank is going to have 3 green sunfish 2 rock bass and possibly a madtom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users