Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

Sunfish ID

Attached Files

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

Really?

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Lepomis blurritus

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

I didn't want to influence anyone so I didn't say anything. The pond has blue gills and pumpkinseeds. maybe greens but I don't think so.

Lepomis blurritus

When I google that name it asks me if I mean Lepomis auritus. I don't think it is a redbreasted.

When I

Really?

I know the pictures aren't the greatest.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

I would name him spincycle

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

Pumpkinseed 

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#7 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

It's definitely a hybrid. Lepomis sp. x Slowshutteri sp.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:00 AM

Note the bit of red on his ear flap.  That would be a characteristic clue.  One of the 3 Mikes might be right but there are other options too.  Without a focused photo there is little hope for a proper ID.  Don't waste digital space... master your camera skills and post a focused photo.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

I get some of the scientific now LOL. I got the fish as a pumpkin seed but when I went to put it in my tank it looked like it might be a hybrid with a bluegill. after looking at the fish today I think it was it was stressed and it is a pure pumpkin seed.

Attached Files

#10 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

There you go!  Now someone with ID skills should be able to give you a proper ID.

See that touch of red on the earflap?  Redear, Warmouth and even Longears can have a bit of red there.  But i suspect one of the Mikes knows for sure the species i have not mentioned hint hint.  I am not that good at ID's out of my typical wanders generally speaking.

Casper Cox

#11 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

Mike Berg had it right, pumpkinseed all the way and a very nice one at that. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#12 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

Thanks. I saw a really nice one. Most of its body was red but I couldn't catch it. Here is the other one I got which is also a nice looking fish. Attached File  20160513_084849.jpg   104.64KB   0 downloads

#13 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

Lepomis blurritus

This is a reference to the sheer blurriness of the photo. That's not a species or a misspelling of a species. And seriously, that first pic is basically just one vaguely fish-colored blurr. 

Very nice, round fish with good coloration. Nice finds! Are they eating, and if so, what? Krill would be a good option, they help bring out reds and oranges and the like.

#14 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:49 AM

Thanks. The big guy ate pellets and spit it out but ate blackworms. I didn't see the little guy eat anything.

#15 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Lepomis blurritus

This reminds me of my quixotic quest for a Like Button.  

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users