Photo

Huntsville, AL -- Indian Creek

3 replies to this topic

#1 gbeauvin

gbeauvin
  • NANFA Guest
  • Huntsville, AL

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Not sure this is the right place for this post, so mods feel free to move it if appropriate.

Has anyone in the Huntsville area collected from Indian Creek?  I've got a day off coming up in a couple weeks and was thinking of taking the kids "creek stomping" with a dipnet and seeing what could be found.  We'd be doing more of a 'survey' than a collecting trip as I'm not yet ready to bring anything home.  I was thinking of bringing a small aquarium to use as an observation chamber, take pictures, then return the fish to the creek.

If anyone has collected fish from this area before, where would you recommend looking?  Would anyone in the HSV area be interested in showing me the ropes (or just stumbling around the creek with me)?

thanks,

Rick

#2 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

I haven't been to Indian Creek for a period of years, back when Providence Village was under construction. There at least used to be a lot of interesting fish north of Highway 72; since then much of the creek has suffered from runoff sediment and there was a fuel oil spill there about 5 years ago. But, things may have recovered since... the most interesting fish I found was a surprisingly healthy population of flame chubs. With any luck they're still there.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#3 gbeauvin

gbeauvin
  • NANFA Guest
  • Huntsville, AL

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thanks, Bruce.  Do you know where the spill happened?  I had been planning to start at one of the greenways for easy public access, but perhaps I should look further upstream.

#4 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

It was just upstream of where Highway 72 crosses the creek.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users