Photo

200 gal tank ideas

5 replies to this topic

#1 Water

Water
  • NANFA Guest
  • Texas

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hello, native fish people. I am no stranger to fish keeping, as i have kept aggressive south american cichlids in the past, but now i am becoming more interested in native species. I am currently shopping for a tank that is around the 200 gal range to house the fish.

As for the species of fish i would desire to keep, i was thinking of going with some of the less common species, such as shadow bass, Sacramento perch, flier, rock bass, mud sunfish, crappie, etc... but i need you guys help on finding a balanced ratio that 200 gallons can hold. Also, i was also thinking about throwing a few smaller size crawfish and grass shrimp in the tank to keep the tank interesting.

I was also thinking about planting the aquarium, but i have no knowledge with any aquatic plants, so i would also like to know some of the easier plants to maintain in the aquarium.

I am open to any criticism or ideas you guys have for me, thanks.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

http://forum.nanfa.o...hl=+240 +gallon

http://forum.nanfa.o...+nature +center

Read through these two, similar threads.  They'll give you a good start and answer a lot of the questions for you.

I'll also add that crayfish and grass shrimp will not survive with the other fish you mentioned.  You'd be much better diversifying your tank with top/middle/bottom dwelling species of fish.  Or throw a turtle in there if you need another distinct and different taxonomic group to make it interesting.

Nick L.

#3 Water

Water
  • NANFA Guest
  • Texas

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thanks

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

More shiners. Cyprinella
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 HelenGreene

HelenGreene
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Diego

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:18 AM

Betta or a colony of small shrimps.

#6 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:27 PM

More shiners. Cyprinella

I hate to keep repeating "What [he] said", but ... what Michael said. Cyprinella are great in big tanks. Give them a current, and they will be shooting around and jockeying for position all the time. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users