Darter ID

6 replies to this topic

#1 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hey All,

I read the rules and know we want field IDs only, and that feeder tank stragglers will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

I have a feeder tank case for you. These three darters were in my local store's ghost shrimp shipment. Any idea what they are?

Thanks!

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

Wouldn't this feeder tank link help you?

http://forum.nanfa.o...ntifications-1/

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Ah, thank you!

#4 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Swamp darters. Cool little boogers that do fine in the average community tank but prefer cooler water. Best kept away from eager eaters, as they'll only take food that's sinking near them and will have trouble getting enough if something snatches all the food before it gets within a few inches of the substrate.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

Provide enough plants to "perch" on and the swampy will have a better chance to get "up" in the tank. I have one in with some Enneacanthus that does just fine. Heavily planted Walsted style tank.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the informration, guys. I was excited to see them in the ghost shrimp tank. The store clerk didn't have a clue what they were.

#7 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

Pretty sure they aren't that territorial, so you can pick up future arrivals, or let them know what the darters are. Pretty cool little guys, and they act a lot like aquatic lizards. They can swivel their heads around independently of the rest of themselves.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users