Photo

lined topminnow?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

this little fellow was captured a while ago, I thought it was a lined topminnow, and I put it in with my golden topminnow, however he is not doing well and not acting like a topminnow, so maybe I made a mistake, he was in a ditch in Venice Fl., near the lower Myakka river, and possibly then brackish.

Attached Files

#2 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:33 PM

Looks almost like a banded killifish

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

That dark mark in the dorsal kinda eliminates it being F. linealatus but I don't know all the other things it could be.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

It's not a lined topminnow or banded killifish, but it may be a marsh killifish. That's what it looks like to me, but I don't have any real life experience with that species.

#5 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

I'd agree with Isaac on it being a marsh killie, F. confluentus. Males have the black spot on the back of the dorsal fin that this fish has. I've seen them in almost-fresh water, but brackish is the normal habitat. Pulvereus may or may not be a separate species, but it doesn't get down the Florida peninsula. (Per Peterson's Field Guide to Atlantic Coast Fishes.) 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#6 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

I was right on the killi part, and I didn't notice the black spot

#7 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:29 AM

thank you, that's why he's doing so poorly in my freshwater tank

#8 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

It is a marsh killie.  They are found in FL at some sites in most to full fresh water, but it is likely very hard where they are found.  An addition of just a little salt and some live or frozen foods should pep them right up.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users