Photo

26 or 36 bow

23 replies to this topic

#1 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

I want to have some a Minnesota tank, I was thinking a pair of northerns or dollars, or possibly a lot of vanes sunfish with darters. Or just northerns and darters?

#2 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

It's a 26 and don't know stock, but want stock that doesn't require a heater if possible. Tank is still murky from the sand

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

Edited by 9darlingcalvi, 26 May 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#3 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

I was thinking of a sunfish or something like that. What species would fit in there?

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

I have a tank this size. It would be great for a single spotted sunfish. Do you have those in MN?

I have Enneacanthus in mine. But Bantam Sunfish might be MN fish and they are almost the same. You could have a small group of four or five in there.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

Of bantam, okay. Then could I have like other fish with the bantams?

#6 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

We have bluegill, warmouth, green and longear are the sunfish found here

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

Of bantam, okay. Then could I have like other fish with the bantams?

In my 26 bow front I have about five Enneacanthus and one swamp darter. Deep soil substrate, heavily planted. No filtration. I need a couple more swamps.

You could also try the bantams with a few toominnows. You have black spotted up there?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

Nope, the only spotted sun is least concern in MN. Could a pumpkinseed or bluegill work?

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

No, I think we mis-understood each other.  Let me try again.

If you want only one fish in the tank then a single sunfish in a 26 is possible.  I think even one bluegill would get way too big for this tank.

If you want more fish in the tank then I can only recommend Bantam sunfish as they are almost the same as the Enneacanthus species that I am keeping (some folks here would even argue that Bantam's should be classified in the genus).  If you have bantam sunfish then I think you could potentially also have swamp darters (as I do) or you could potentially have topminnows.

But you also said that you wanted MN fish, and I am not sure what you have up there.

#10 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

Okay, could sticklebacks live with darters and other fish?

#11 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

i was also kinda want like a center piece fish that is like a sunfish, but still have like topminnows, mid level fish and darters

#12 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

Okay so if I get a lot of plant cover could I have sticklebacks, Iowa darters and a northern sunfish?

#13 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

Sticklebacks are too mean to keep with most other fish. Iowas will be iffy at best with Northern Sunfish. You also forgot about Orangespotted Sunfish and Warmouths on your list of MN sunfish. As for Topminnows, the only natives you can legally own are Banded Killifish.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#14 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

Warmouth a can be kept in a 26 gallon? Also how many O-spotted?

Edited by 9darlingcalvi, 28 May 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#15 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

I would not recommend keeping a Warmouth in a 26, it is just a Sunfish you missed on your list. As for how many O-Spots, it depends on what kind of tank you are going for and what other species, if any, you want in there.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#16 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

This is what it looks like, it will have a ton of slender pondweed. I kinda want Iowa darters or minnows if possible

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

#17 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

pkay so O-spotted, northern and greens are my top 3 wanted sunfish at this moment. I really like the Missouri longest on zimmerman's fish.

Edited by 9darlingcalvi, 29 May 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#18 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

Here's newest scape, added piece of wood and put the small piece to hang into the tank.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

#19 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

That scape is really cool! I think 6 Iowa Darters, a school of shiners (Weed, Blackchin, or some other small and pretty Notropis), a couple Banded Killifish, and a young male Orangespot would look great in this tank and would perfectly match their habitat.

#20 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

Okay so could u keep the O-spotted in there for its life? And what would be a school? Like how many

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users