Eastern Ohio trip?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zackdmb_*

Guest_zackdmb_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

Would anyone be interested in doing some collecting this Sunday the 29th somewhere in Eastern Ohio or far western PA? I was thinking of going to the Grand River maybe... im open to other ideas as well, but i would mainly like to target darters and various minnow species..let me know if there is any interest

#2 Guest_mjosephfish_*

Guest_mjosephfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

HI! That sounds like fun!! I'm MJ, I'm new to NANFA.I’m not totally sure if I can make it right now. What time are you planing to meat up? And is Grand River the place you want to go for sure? If I was able to make it what would you need me to bring?

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

Where in the Grand River are you talking about? Or where in western PA?

#4 Guest_zackdmb_*

Guest_zackdmb_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

i havent decided on any place in particular yet, im not too familiar with the Grand so any suggestions would be much appreciated, and as far as western PA, Ed , do you have places out near you that could be of interest?

#5 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

i havent decided on any place in particular yet, im not too familiar with the Grand so any suggestions would be much appreciated, and as far as western PA, Ed , do you have places out near you that could be of interest?

I don't know much about the Grand River, but from my reading, I would think you would want the upper portion, where it flows on the dry lake bed. It has a nice species list in NatureServe:
http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=4110004

I have just begun to explore western PA, I don't have any good spots to suggest at this time. Truth be told, because I have joined Ohioans in Ohio a couple of times before, I probably know Ohio better. Northwestern PA is supposed to be the most biologically diverse part of Pennsylvania. French Creek is pretty well thought of. I haven't been there. There was some talk of making it a GLA trip later this year. The French Creek species list from NatureServe:
http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=5010004

Another possibility is the Shenango River watershed:
http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=5030102

I would be game for trying any of these, if I have funds to travel. I should know in a day or two.

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

i havent decided on any place in particular yet, im not too familiar with the Grand so any suggestions would be much appreciated

I wish I could join you folks... Maybe later in the year :)

Places to hit...

Harpersfield Dam Park
http://www.ashtabula...org/harpers.htm

Go into the park on the south side of the river and drive ALL the way back until you can't drive any more and enter the stream to the east of the parking lot. The stream gets better and better as you go downstream. You can do 20+ species here with a good shot at some northern longear.

Rock Creek Rotary Park
Parking right off SR 45, which goes over Rock Creek. The upper pools by the waterfall are nice. Sometimes you get good stuff downstream.

DNR has a pretty good side with acesses:
http://www.dnr.state...vers/grand.html

SR 88 and SR 322 were both nice places to find stickleback and other headwater stuff.

Todd

#7 Guest_zackdmb_*

Guest_zackdmb_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Todd thanks for the info, i was actually thinking of starting in Harpersfield and working my way south towards Rock Creek, those access points are great reference. I live near Cleveland so any time you wanna do some sampling up this way let me know.

I will post more about what the plans are by tomorrow if anybody wants to meet up let me know.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

I will post more about what the plans are by tomorrow if anybody wants to meet up let me know.

I would like to do the Shenango River sometime this summer. But right now the Grand River sounds good to me. I'm just concerned about having the funds for gas and Turnpike fare. The next day is pay day, which also means that Sunday is as far as you get from a pay day. I think you know what that means. When I get a handle on it, I'll let you know if I can join. But I do like Todd's suggestions.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

I live near Cleveland so any time you wanna do some sampling up this way let me know.

Sounds good. I'll be up there a couple times for longer periods the next couple summers. My focus on the Grand is mussels, as that's one of my planned project streams for my phd. We'll have to get you over into French Creek so you can see some serious fish diversity paired with massive abundances :) As you can see in the NatureServe lists, richness takes a big jump once you connect to the Ohio River. Great place to snorkel too. Hellbenders and mudpuppies an added bonus.

Todd

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:43 AM

We'll have to get you over into French Creek so you can see some serious fish diversity paired with massive abundances :) As you can see in the NatureServe lists, richness takes a big jump once you connect to the Ohio River.

Has anybody ever been to the Shenango River drainage? If so, PA, OH, or both?

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Okay, it looks like I can make it. I'll PM you for meeting place, time, and cell contact info.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users