Photo

Livebearers of Arkansas

2 replies to this topic

#1 Genekri

Genekri
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to native fish collecting / keeping, and I'm looking for a list of livebearers in Arkansas. I've seen several gambusia affinis, and I've looked online and found plenty of records of said species, but there has to be more... Right? I'm planning on heading to Gin Creek in Searcy, White county, AR to (hopefully) collect some fish.

I have one other question, I've looked at Arkansas native species keeping laws, does it mean 6 of each species or 6 individual creatures total? Thanks in advance- Gene

#2 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

"I've seen several gambusia affinis, and I've looked online and found plenty of records of said species, but there has to be more... Right?"

Um well...I wouldn't say that, no.  But if that's what you want, personally I would say keep all you wish - they'll make more. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hi Gene, Gambusia affinis is the only species of livebearer in Arkansas, but there are lots of other neat native species suitable for aquaria including species of killifish, minnows, darters, sunfish, etc.

The Arkansas regulations allow for the keeping of up to 6 individuals of each species, so if you collect multiple species, your total number of individuals could be much more than 6. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users