Wheeler Creek Chapter II

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Assault0137

Assault0137
  • NANFA Guest
  • Hoschton, GA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

About 3 years ago, I caught some Yellowfin Shiners(thanks for the ID Michael) and then school started and I lost interest. Yesterday, I set the trap again and when I pulled it up no more than two hours later, I had 13 fish and 2 crawfish in there! However, they weren't Yellowfins(that I could tell) and all 13 fish were of this mystery species. What makes me think they aren't is because of their slightly larger average size, around 3 inches, and the dark spot at the beginning of their top fin. So if y'all could help me out a bit it would be greatly appreciated :)
(All fish were released within 10 minutes of me pulling the trap up, no harm done)

Edited by Assault0137, 13 July 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#2 Assault0137

Assault0137
  • NANFA Guest
  • Hoschton, GA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

Having a little trouble attaching the picture... Hm. I'll try and fix that when I get home to my computer.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:39 AM

Dark spot at the front of the dorsal fin (maybe with some orange) is an indicator of creek chub. You can search on the Gallery Archive to see simulates.

I'm not sure how to attach photos from mobile devices. Too many differences between platforms.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Assault0137

Assault0137
  • NANFA Guest
  • Hoschton, GA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

Creek chub pictures match my photos perfectly, thank you!
When I checked the trap I set overnight, I found 9 Yellowfins. But from what I see in the creek, there may be two strains present. The ones I caught have lighter reddish fins, presumably bits of color left from breeding season. However, I also see a very small number of Yellowfins that have vivid white colored fins, about one for every twenty reddish finned fish. I have never seen these in the creek before this year.
Do you think it's possible they swam up the stream? You've spoken about white finned varieties before(I did a forum search of 'Michael Yellowfin' and read every thread XD)

#5 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

They are all the same fish, just in varying stages of coloration.  

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

yep, what Dustin said... and his avatar.

It would be fun to do what you are doing like once a week for every week of the year and photograph the individuals in a phototank... you would see some very different colorations throughout the year.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Assault0137

Assault0137
  • NANFA Guest
  • Hoschton, GA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

https://youtu.be/uDGui4hZpUE

I dunked my GoPro in the creek :D

It's a little blurry, but other than that there's a few sections of the video that actually look kinda cool.

Around 1:30 a big wave of Yellowfin's move in, if you don't have time to watch the full video definitely watch 1:30-3:00

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

cool video and cool little stream

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users