Unknown fish, help with id's please.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

Hey fellas, I am having issues posting forums with pics for fish id's and have management working on it. In the meantime, I have albums up under my name timothy Lee Aldridge, please feel free to look around and check my pics out and please send me an email with album number and pic number with the fish id if you know it.

Thanks fellas. Have a lot of fish I am trying to get id's on.

Semper fi, Tim Aldridge

#2 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

With a Google search I can find your rap sheet if you're from Kentucky, but no photos -- what service are they posted to?
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

Tim's is a new NANFA member and has a Gallery Archive account 

http://gallery.nanfa...rs/timaldridge/

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

D'accord, je comprend...

#5 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

In the Unknown Fish 3, Creek Chubs?, I would say all of the fish pictured are River Chubs or at least some species of Nocomis.

#6 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

In the Unknown Fish 3, Creek Chubs?, I would say all of the fish pictured are River Chubs or at least some species of Nocomis.

River Chubs? That is kinda what I was leaning towards. Can you let me know which picture number the River Chubs are compared to the Creek Chubs? Thanks. Tim

#7 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

You are firmly in the Catawba River drainage there, making those bluehead chubs, not rivers.  Bruce is in the TN River drainage so his go to Nocomis is river which is why he guessed that.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

What about photos 8 and 9?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

Those are definitely creek chubs.  I was just commenting on the Nocomis.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#10 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Actually, I have to change my opinion.  The ones caught near Waxhaw are for sure blueheads.  The ones caught near Saluda may be either bluehead or river.  We did a survey up that way a couple years ago and the Green River there has a smattering of TN river fish mixed in with the Catawba drainage species.  We got warpaints, saffrons, mirror shiners and mottled sculpin along with bluehead chubs.  Based on the presence of the other TN fish, I suppose there could be both river and bluehead there.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Had me worried for a minute Dustin. Thought you were slipping. O:)

#12 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

Actually, I have to change my opinion.  The ones caught near Waxhaw are for sure blueheads.  The ones caught near Saluda may be either bluehead or river.  We did a survey up that way a couple years ago and the Green River there has a smattering of TN river fish mixed in with the Catawba drainage species.  We got warpaints, saffrons, mirror shiners and mottled sculpin along with bluehead chubs.  Based on the presence of the other TN fish, I suppose there could be both river and bluehead there.

Cool beans, so Dustin, can you let me know which ones are probably River Chubs? Thanks man. Going out today for Darters near Lancaster, SC. Also, saw a Madtom yesterday in a creek but was too slow to catch it. The place where I caught those possible River Chubs also had Fieryblack Shiners, Warpaint Shiners, Rosyside Daces, Blacknose Daces, Stonerollers, Jumprocks, Smallmouths, Trout and Mottled Sculpin. If that helps out. That would be cool if they are River Chubs.

#13 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:10 AM

That's an interesting stream with the mix of drainages like I was talking about.  I'm not sure I can ID the chubs based on the photos.  Only one fish has well defined tubercles and there is so much dirt on it, I can't be sure where the tubercles are.  It appears as though there are tubercles posterior to the eye which would make it a bluehead.  Small fish and females and very difficult to tell apart, for me at least.  Adult male rivers will have a pinkish head and tubercles that don't behind the eye.  Adult male blueheads will have a bluish head with more spread out tubercles.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#14 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

Do you see the difference in the scales on fishes 8 and 9? Smaller in general, and as they get closer to the back of the head, they get even smaller. The dorsal scales on the Nocomis stay nearly the same size all the way to the head. The mouth is shaped differently and is a bit larger on the creek chubs as well. You pointed out one of the differences in the males yourself. The tubercles on the creek chub males are more on the upper sides of the head than on top like the Nocomis. Also the creek chubs will have a dark spot on the anterior base of the dorsal fin. Hope that helps.

I certainly can't help differentiate the river vs.the blueheads. I will leave that one to Dustin. I have no idea how to tell them apart other than drainage and the heads of spawning males.

#15 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

Do you see the difference in the scales on fishes 8 and 9? Smaller in general, and as they get closer to the back of the head, they get even smaller. The dorsal scales on the Nocomis stay nearly the same size all the way to the head. The mouth is shaped differently and is a bit larger on the creek chubs as well. You pointed out one of the differences in the males yourself. The tubercles on the creek chub males are more on the upper sides of the head than on top like the Nocomis. Also the creek chubs will have a dark spot on the anterior base of the dorsal fin. Hope that helps.

I certainly can't help differentiate the river vs.the blueheads. I will leave that one to Dustin. I have no idea how to tell them apart other than drainage and the heads of spawning males.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I just relooked at my photos to see if I could find any pics with more tubercles on their heads but no luck.

#16 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I just relooked at my photos to see if I could find any pics with more tubercles on their heads but no luck.

Also, I believe Dustin already is on it but I have a brackish album and an unknown mountain shiner album, can you take a quick look and let me know if anything looks familiar to you? Thanks. I think the mountain shiner is looking like a juvenile Blacknose Dace the more I look into it.

Tim

#17 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Mountain shiner 1-5 looks like juvenile creek chub.  6-7 looks is a Notropis of some sort but I really don't know what.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#18 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hopefully Fritz will chime in on the brackish fish.  There are some menhaden, needlefish and silversides, but I am not the one to ID those.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#19 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

I am not very qualified to ID too much out of my own area. I do see creek and river chubs often, which is why I commented. I agree with Dustin on the creek chub ID and as far as the other fish goes, I can only say that the size of it's eye stands out to me.

Brackish water .....Not a clue.

#20 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

A small plastic tank to use for a photo tank might be a good investment. Then if you cut a piece of clear acrylic from Home Depot to just fit inside, you can gently squeeze the fish in the water against the front of the tank. This will allow the forum members who are particularly good at fish ID's to be able to see the more of the traits of the smaller and more difficult to identify species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users