LED mix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

What do you guys think is a good mix of LED's for planted aquaria?  For building a light source, that is.  Preferably CREE. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#2 dmarkley

dmarkley
  • NANFA Member
  • Lower Susquehanna River

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

I switched to a 48" LED lamp a few months ago and I've had trouble with plants.  I think its the eLive modular LEDs, each unit is a bank of 4 LEDs (~ 2" x 2" that clips into the power strip.  Upon the recommendation of the LFS (That Fish Place), I am using a mix of white, red and blue to help plants.  The only plants that seem to grow well are a few saggitaria and a weird green-black algae.  I have failed with vallisneria, hornwort and elodea!  I think part of the problem is the depth of the tank, it's a 110 gallon and is deeeeeep.

Dean

Susquehanna River Drainage

#3 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Well, I am building one for MY 110, which is not of the deep variety but long.  Just wondering if anybody was looked at the different mixes/proportions.  There are a lot of LED's with a lot of different spectral characteristics.  What I will probably end up doing is getting a mix of colors and experiment with dimming them in different proportions using variable pulse width modulation (easily done with an Arduino).  If nobody has any recommendations.   I'm debating LED strips vs spotlights too.

With the spotlights you don't have as much flexibility for managing the spectrum, so I am particularly interested in anyone's experience with these.

#4 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:47 PM

Well, alrighty then :-P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users