Photo

Breeding sturgeon

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

I have been browsing google and it seems that breeding and sale of live sturgeons in quite common there. They have even developed color morphs of various sturgeon specifically for ponds and aquariums. Is anyone doing that here in North America? 

headimage4.jpg

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 damias

damias
  • NANFA Guest
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

Do you have any links to this? I'd love seeing some sturgeon morphs

#3 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

Do you have any links to this? I'd love seeing some sturgeon morphs

http://www.ebay.co.u...d-fish-sturgeon

Sadly shovelnose sturgeon are for sale in the UK but not in the USA!

http://www.sturgeon-...us-platorynchus

Michael

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

:angry: Morphs anger me beyond belief. It is hard to buy a wild color snake of any species nowadays due to peoples fascination with messing with what was already perfect. I promise if people start doing this with native fish, I will be done. [-X

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

:angry: Morphs anger me beyond belief. It is hard to buy a wild color snake of any species nowadays due to peoples fascination with messing with what was already perfect. I promise if people start doing this with native fish, I will be done. [-X

Yeah, I'm not wild about color morphs either, I just want some fingerling shovelnose sturgeon 

Michael

#6 damias

damias
  • NANFA Guest
  • Charlotte/Raleigh, NC

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:19 PM

I'm actually somewhat the opposite way on this. I actually love to see naturally occurring color morphs, though I'm not to crazy about the man made ones.

I'd love to see some of our killifish get there colors enhanced by a few generations of selective breeding.

#7 Sunfish Catcher 321

Sunfish Catcher 321
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

Is importing not a thing?

#8 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

PM me for prices on color morphs.  Shovelnose are highly variable.  I have 13 morphs available,  $30-$90 each depending on strain.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#9 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

Is importing not a thing?

Well not shovelnose, they are native... 

Michael

#10 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

PM me for prices on color morphs.  Shovelnose are highly variable.  I have 13 morphs available,  $30-$90 each depending on strain.

Now you are just being cruel... 

Michael

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

I would need a photo with a wet fish on today's newspaper with a wet fish outline on the paper to believe this. Make it happen and I will pay you $90 for two 30 dollar fish plus shipping cost to Moons address.

#12 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

By Spring 2017 Martin's Fantail Glo-Sturgeon should be ready for market.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#13 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

I would need a photo with a wet fish on today's newspaper with a wet fish outline on the paper to believe this. Make it happen and I will pay you $90 for two 30 dollar fish plus shipping cost to Moons address.

At least I know i have friends here...  :D/

Michael

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

This is one I still don't know where I stand on. Like other posters, I do enjoy various naturally occurring morphs. As long as we aren't talking over the top, jacked-up Bubble Eyed Glo-Muskietrout kinda things. I'm not sure where my tolerance limit is; I'm no purist like DLV but glow does turn my stomach, as does intentionally physically grotesque stuff.

FWIW, I'm taking preorders for said Bubble-eyed glow muskietrout. An undisclosed dnr from a state with long, dark winters has purchased most of them for ice-fishermen, but I can probably spare a couple for $350/ea.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#15 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

I would swear some herp breeders must have God complexes.Some patent their morphs. I don't mind a natural morph. I do mind that breeders have all but abandoned captive reproduction of wild type critters.  Why? Survey says? All searching for the goose that lays the golden egg. But my distaste for them is obviously in the minority.

#16 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

I would swear some herp breeders must have God complexes.Some patent their morphs. I don't mind a natural morph. I do mind that breeders have all but abandoned captive reproduction of wild type critters.  Why? Survey says? All searching for the goose that lays the golden egg. But my distaste for them is obviously in the minority.

I have mixed emotions about it, I love scarlet king snakes, natural color, but some of the unusual color morphs are pretty as well. I saw a scaleless snake the other day that has been bred for that trait... 

Michael

#17 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Neat thread this has morphed into... (thank you, tip the wait staff)

It's kinda made me examine my thoughts, and I'm still not any closer to figuring it out. I'm a waffler at best and a hypocrite at worst. In plants, I don't care that much except to prefer heirlooms in veggies and flowers. But with my carnivorous plants there are cultivars out the wazoo, and I rather like many of them. When I was more into herps,I was a little more of a purist. Being more on the frog side of things it was easier. Dart frogs had so much going on there didn't seem to be a motive to fool around too much, and Firebelly Toads just weren't worth the effort. Only at Ceratophrys did things get just stupid. I think one of the main targets of DLV's ire is a ringleader here. Birds, dogs, cats, show rats, ferrets, so-on all have morphs and I'm fine with many of them. I guess I just keep coming back to the "grotesque" factor. Has the creature suffered a physical deformity that impairs it? Then not cool? But then I'm a hypocrite because I do like a nicely flared-out lfs Betta, Lionhead Oranda, so-forth...

I kinda envy folks like DLV who honestly have one side of the spectrum they are passionate about.
Matt Knepley

#18 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, I own American, NOT ENGLISH, bulldogs. Pretty darn far removed from it's wild counterpart. So hypocrisy runs wild in my brain as well.

#19 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

I was just about to say, dogs are pretty grotesque in terms of morphs. I still do love my pekingese-chihuahua (Pekichua), though.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#20 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:57 AM

Maybe it's not so much a matter of being hypocritical as it is a matter of not recognizing what it is that really bothers us. Maybe the end result, the morphed animal, is only a symptom and not really the disease, so to speak. Rereading one of Matt's posts it hit me- I think it's all about the perceived motive and my views on the value of "change". Matt spelled it out for me and I still didn't see it. Now I have to ponder motives and changes and why different creations may or may not bother me...
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users