Crayfish ID Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AllenB

AllenB
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

Hello,

I am an invertebrate biologist from New Jersey working primarily with insects and freshwater mussels. While conducting surveys at a Lake in Warren County I encountered a large (approx. 3.5" long) bright red Crayfish. It was extremely aggressive. I am no expert on Crayfish but fairly familiar with the few species currently documented in New Jersey. With only a mediocre photo taken with my phone I have done some research after a fashion. I have tentatively ID'd this as Procambarus clarkii. If there are any Crayfish experts reading this I would be grateful for your thoughts and insights. This species is not on any of our official list.

Many thanks,

Allen Barlow

Attached Files

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

P. clarkii is a very likely suspect, and the photo looks consistent with that species.  They're the most popular species for farming and cooking in USA.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

I have found clarkii in a stream in Ohio that has a fish hatchery on it. I would not be surprised to see them almost any place.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 CowBoYReX

CowBoYReX
  • NANFA Guest
  • Trenton, FL

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

From the lack of an areola between the two carapace plates I'd say it's most like P. Clarkii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users