Photo

Great Smoky Mountains Tennessee- ID help needed

5 replies to this topic

#1 pitt20

pitt20
  • NANFA Guest
  • SC

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm currently vacationing in the Smoky Mountains near Pigeon Forge, TN. I was able to check out the Little River and a creek which I don't know the name of.

Little River species:
Snubnose Darter (Got away before I could get a picture. Pretty confident about this one )

IMG_5423.JPG looks like some type of sucker, need an ID on this one

IMG_5422.JPG tadpole- not sure if anyone can ID this but I'm curious

The second day I went out the Little River was high because of a storm the night before and I didn't catch anything, so I tried a nearby creek

IMG_5442.JPG the creek itself

IMG_5445.JPG darter- I need an ID... kind of looks like the snubnose darters I caught earlier but I'm not 100% sure

IMG_5448.JPG dace?

Also caught were little silver minnows that I didn't get a picture of

I saw larger silver shiner looking fish with whitish fins and a brown fish that had a black checkered pattern. The brown fish was schooling with some minnows and less than an inch long. Any ideas on what they could be?

#2 pitt20

pitt20
  • NANFA Guest
  • SC

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Also I apologize for the bad pictures, I wasn't planning on trying to collect on this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

I can unequivocally confirm that these are indeed bad pictures.  The sucker could be a hogsucker, but baby Moxostoma can be blotchy-patterened like that too.  Lots of possibilities for the minnow: Nocomis, Semotilus, Rhinichthys, ... 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 pitt20

pitt20
  • NANFA Guest
  • SC

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Armed with nothing but an iPhone and a net, the chances for good pictures were not in my favor any idea on the darter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

Based solely on the rounded snout I'd guess Tenn Snubnose. 

Sucker: White is also possible. Anterior scales look small.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

I'm going to agree with the Hogsucker, snubnose, and blacknose dace.  Sometimes the little blacknose dace and creek chubs can hard to distinguish in photo like this.  That is a very nice-looking stream you have there.

Willie P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users