Feeding wild caught sailfin mollies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

This past weekend we caught a dozen or so sailfin mollies, and I have placed them in a 55 gallon aquarium. The fish appear healthy, and the males are trying their hardest to breed already, but I can't seem to get them to eat. I've tried every dry food that I own, frozen blood worms, tubifex, blanched peas, and live mosquito culture, all to no avail. These things just wont eat! I have observed them picking at the substrate like a sand-filtering feeder, but being a new tank, there isn't much there for them. So I never thought I would have to ask such a question, but does anyone know how in the world to feed mollies? 

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Live blackworms?  Adult brine shrimp?  Were they in brackish when caught?.....what salinity are they in now?  (Though that seems quite irrevalent if you see them picking for food on the bottom.  But perhaps (IF) there was a change in salinity, they might have lost their appetite?)

Nick L.

#3 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

Live blackworms?  Adult brine shrimp?  Were they in brackish when caught?.....what salinity are they in now?  (Though that seems quite irrevalent if you see them picking for food on the bottom.  But perhaps (IF) there was a change in salinity, they might have lost their appetite?)

This may very well be the case, and I can't believe I didn't think of that. We caught them in three different ponds, normally ranging from sound fed (~20-25ppt) to a rainwater runoff pond (<10ppt). I brought the tank up to around 10ppt because many rain events in the week prior to collecting had brought in an influx of fw. I plan on bringing the salinity down to 0 after a few water changes.

I guess I'll watch them for the next few days and see how they adjust. Thanks for the help! 

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Try adding a fish that's already adapted to eating flakes - something vaguely similar in behavior - a killie, gambusia, minnow ...

They often learn quicker from tankmates.  

BTW - How's the Lyre goby population looking this year?  The male you gave me in Nov 2014 died just recently.  He'd looked great for about 18 months, then started getting thin the past couple months.  Saved him for NCSM collection.  Have you figured out yet whether they reproduce and grow in that pond, or rely on continuous recruitment from the estuary?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Mollies are more herbivorous than a lot of fish we keep. Vegetable flake, or if you have a ready source a big ball of hair algae will be good for them. They will also pick at the algae wafers marketed for plecos.

#6 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

Try adding a fish that's already adapted to eating flakes - something vaguely similar in behavior - a killie, gambusia, minnow ...

They often learn quicker from tankmates.  

BTW - How's the Lyre goby population looking this year?  The male you gave me in Nov 2014 died just recently.  He'd looked great for about 18 months, then started getting thin the past couple months.  Saved him for NCSM collection.  Have you figured out yet whether they reproduce and grow in that pond, or rely on continuous recruitment from the estuary?

I have a tank full of gambusia, and will add some after work. They definitely have no problems eating! 

That pond unfortunately has been changed to the point of being unrecognizable. DOT came in and added some floating vegetation mats, the kind that eventually secure themselves via plant roots. They also added some solar powered air pumps, which initially removed most of the cyano, and really cleared the water up. About 4 months later, this aquatic plant that was for years only covering about a 12" by 12" plot, took over and choked the entire pond. There may still be some gobies in there, but seining is now out of the question.

Fritz, Jesse, and I sampled the pond last December, both dipnetting and electrofishing. We managed a few freshwater gobies, about 9 river gobies, and a single lyre goby. I'm afraid they no longer call that place home. There is an adjacent creek however, and I have been catching female and juvenile lyres in there pretty frequently lately, but no pretty males like you had!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users