Photo

Passing of B.G. Granier in 2015

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but B.G. Granier passed away last May. The link is to his obituary. He certainly contributed a lot to NANFA over the years, He's already been missed and most of us just didn't realize. http://obits.theadvo...x?pid=174873981

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#2 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

I was just sharing with another member my own experience with BG. 

He and I met online as I was preparing to come home to Baton ROuge for a visit in 2003.  I had found his name on this site on the page summarizing the great experience he had provided members when collecting around New Orleans for the convention there in the mid 90's.

He graciously agreed to meet me for a collection trip on lake Pontchartrain during my visit in 2003, and mailed me my fish when I went home to VA.

I've since moved back home and tried to reach him several times, but his shinerscoop.net site and his listed ph#'s were not operational, so I assumed he had passed.  I wish I had known he was still around at that time so that I could have thanked again for that memorable day!

He was extraordinarily kind and loved to share his knowledge with his fellow fish-weirdos.

Me and my kids are headed back to that same spot this weekend with our nets and buckets.  I know he'll be smiling down on us!

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#3 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

Well darn. I never met BG in person, but had some pleasant email discussions with him about Pteronotropis and his shiner scoop. He was always very gracious and generous. Martin (Irate Mormon) and I were talking about him at the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve Bioblitz and Darter Fest this April; had heard his health wasn't good but didn't know any more details. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#4 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

BG was an innovator: the shiner scoop, swamp wolffe, and darter gator were some of his inventions...

There's a story behind the first two...the last one proved to be a failure unfortunately.  

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#5 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:14 PM

I had pictures of us testing the Darter Gator but sadly they were lost in time....like tears in rain.....

#6 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

I had meet B.G. at the 2000 Mississippi NANFA convention. He and Bessie provided some great eats for us all. Coincidentally as I read this post this morning, I glanced down and saw that I am wearing my tee shirt from that convention. That's how I knew it was in 2000. As I work around my fish tanks today wearing this shirt, I'll reflect upon what B.G. has meant to NANFA.

between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#7 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:38 PM

That was the first Dave Neely convention shirt!  I had some rough sketches he sent me of some different ideas...I wish I knew what I did with them.  

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

President Fritz is putting together an article about BG.  If anyone has something to provide post it here and or send it to Fritz.   fritz.rohde@gmail.com

BG was very instrumental in my first years with NANFA.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

I have gotten remembrances from Casper, Martin and Ray Wolff.  Need a good photo of BG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users