Photo

North Shore, Lake Pontchartrain, LA, Lake Road 9/10/16

6 replies to this topic

#1 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

This is the spot I went to with BG Granier in 2003, only this time the tide was in, and with our recent rains/floods, murky and fresh.  Not able to wade out to the grassbeds.  The Bermuda grass along the road was underwater and served pretty well, though.

I was hoping for more marine conditions to spice up the variety, this site gets up to 1.008 or so at times, but it was not registering salinity on my refractometer.

We were only there for about an hour before rain chased us off (stopped at Mittendorf's for dinner on the way home though).  Most everything was caught with the dipnet pulling back through 4-6" of water in the Bermuda grass.

3  Cockahoe minnows (Fundulus grandis) 1, 2, and 3 inches

2 baby mullet about 2 inches  Mugil cephalus 

about 8 sheepshead minnows  Cyprinodon variegatus

8-10 mollies

Loads of grasshrimp

some baby fiddler and blue crabs

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#2 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:07 PM

The "grass beds" were along the creek-side of the road where the ditch empties into the lake

Attached Images

• LakeRoad.JPG

Edited by brackishdude, 11 September 2016 - 06:08 PM.

As your fellow, I can demand of you no more, and accept no less, than I allow to be demanded of myself

#3 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

another view from where the road flares into a small parking area.  at low tide

Attached Images

• lakerd.JPG

#4 brackishdude

brackishdude
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:40 PM

Oh, and a handful of Lucania parva, rainwater killi

#5 dredcon

dredcon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

Nice trip. That is a pretty interesting area. I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for those grass beds.

#6 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Nice trip. That is a pretty interesting area. I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for those grass beds.

Be on the look out for bull sharks ! 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#7 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

I snorkeled that exact spot about 20 years ago.  The beds were impressive and the idea of Bull Sharks was a little nerve racking.  Visibility that day was at least 6 feet.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users