Photo

Waxhaw Shiner, also seeking info on Waccamaw Lake

11 replies to this topic

#1 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

Caught these here in Waxhaw, possible Highfin Shiner or Dusky? Also, heading to Waccamaw Lake area in a week. Anyone have any experience collecting from the shore or creeks nearby? Going after Waccamaw Silverside/Darter/Killifish. Thanks fellas. Fall+_1_+_Large_.JPG

#2 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

Fall+_2_+_Large_.JPG

#3 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Fall+_3_+_Large_.JPG

#4 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Fall+_4_+_Large_.JPG

#5 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Yes, they are highfin or dusky.  Look like dusky but probably should be highfin based on location.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#6 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

Yes, they are highfin or dusky.  Look like dusky but probably should be highfin based on location.

Gotcha, in my book for Dusky's it says the blue line extends into the tail, some of the pics to me are def Dusky but I understand Highfins are more likely in this area.

#7 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

fyi - the silverside is federally protected while the killifish has state listing.  There are Golden Topminnows over by the boat ramp near the park's entrance.  PM me as I might be able to meet you there.

fritz.rohde@gmail.com

#8 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

fyi - the silverside is federally protected while the killifish has state listing.  There are Golden Topminnows over by the boat ramp near the park's entrance.  PM me as I might be able to meet you there.

fritz.rohde@gmail.com

I need to get a few pics down there too hint hint. 

#9 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

fritz.rohde@gmail.com

Ok, thanks Fritz, also I am looking to stay in the area for a few days and fish around. If you know some other spots for collecting that would be great.

Tim

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

Dustin, Fritz --  do you think #1-3 could be whitemouth shiner (N. alborus)?  #4 i agree is probably highfin (altipinnis).

Lake Waccamaw is quite an amazing place.  The boatramp area and blackwater ditches have different species from the main body of the lake.  There's also brook silversides as well as Waccamaw silversides.  Might even get a few taillight shiners, mixed in with schools of coastal shiners near the boatramp.  Be warned: they stress out and die quickly when caught in warm water.  Brush up on the protected species - there are several around there. The state park (SE) side of the lake has more natural aquatic vegetation than the north and west shorelines where private owners have removed most of the plant beds. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#11 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

Dustin, Fritz --  do you think #1-3 could be whitemouth shiner (N. alborus)?  #4 i agree is probably highfin (altipinnis).

Lake Waccamaw is quite an amazing place.  The boatramp area and blackwater ditches have different species from the main body of the lake.  There's also brook silversides as well as Waccamaw silversides.  Might even get a few taillight shiners, mixed in with schools of coastal shiners near the boatramp.  Be warned: they stress out and die quickly when caught in warm water.  Brush up on the protected species - there are several around there. The state park (SE) side of the lake has more natural aquatic vegetation than the north and west shorelines where private owners have removed most of the plant beds. 

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Fritz told me about the species in the lake being protected so I guess I won't be going after them after all. Have some new spots in SC that I am looking at now before Waccamaw.

#12 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:41 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the info. Fritz told me about the species in the lake being protected so I guess I won't be going after them after all. Have some new spots in SC that I am looking at now before Waccamaw.

What other species exist in the lake besides the normal Bluegills, Sunfish, Bass etc?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users