greenie compatability

4 replies to this topic

#1 dnorris89

dnorris89
  • NANFA Guest
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Hello,

I have a green sunfish and two black bullhead in my tank now. I know they're both aggressive enough to hold their own against each other, but the bullhead will get too big for the tank eventually. I was hoping to replace them with some madtoms if i can find a good creek to catch them in. Most of the info i've found are about tadpole madtoms and says that they're pretty peaceful. Would anyone know if they'll get beat up by the greenie or if they'll be ok together since they have different specific niches and the madtoms will stay in their burrow alot. Of course i don't know what sp of madtom i'll find when i'm out there.

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

55999374.jpg

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:23 PM

A Bull shark should do ok with a Green, might be some fin nipping.

Seriously though, Tadpole madtoms should do just fine.  Don't get stung by them....

Nick L.

#4 dnorris89

dnorris89
  • NANFA Guest
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

ha, if i catch a bull shark in the creek i'll be sure to keep it!

thanks, would you happen to know if the other species of madtoms behave significantly different than tadpoles?

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Generally speaking, most madtoms hide during the day and come out at night. However, I have found both Margined and Tadpole madtoms grew accustomed to feedings during the day and would be out at the first sight (smell) of food. Then they'll retreat to their hides.
Nick L.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users