Photo

Looking for Missouri Collecting Info

10 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hey NANFA members,  I'm going to be in Columbia Missouri from Oct. 10th - 14th and would like to do some seining. I have found a few locations with access near some parks in Columbia.  Weather permitting, I'd like to get out any evening that week, but specifically wed/thursday.  I have work obligations during the day.

Also, do I need anything other than a fishing license?  

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

If you are not going anywhere with catch then you should not need anything else.  Taking live fish out of state will be another matter.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

Taking live fish out of state will be another matter.

I sent an email to Bob, but whats the other matter?  I read the live bait rules and didn't see anything about taking it out of state.  Maybe there is another rule about it somewhere else.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

I spoke with Tyler Goodale from MO who I think works with the MO Dept of Conservation and he said I'm fine to keep fish with only a fishing license.  I guess I'll to hear back from Bob, and I don't care that much about keeping the fish, just wanting to get out and do some seining.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

I have always heard that live fish cannot be transported out of MO, and unfortunately, it looks like that is indeed the case. Here's a link to the fishing regulations: http://huntfish.mdc....ing/regulations. If you look under "Live Bait Regulations", it says, "Live bait taken from public waters of Missouri may not be sold or transported to other states". And I don't think Tyler works for the MDC, so his permission is not really of any legal help.

#6 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:04 AM

I have always heard that live fish cannot be transported out of MO, and unfortunately, it looks like that is indeed the case. Here's a link to the fishing regulations: http://huntfish.mdc....ing/regulations. If you look under "Live Bait Regulations", it says, "Live bait taken from public waters of Missouri may not be sold or transported to other states". And I don't think Tyler works for the MDC, so his permission is not really of any legal help.

I see that, and I 100% agree that Tyler isn't legal help, that's why I'm talking with Bob Hrabik.  The non-transport of bait fish is really to keep from spreading fish to non-native areas.  I wonder if that not using the fish for bait excludes them from the rule?  Grasping....yes.  Keeping the fish isn't a big deal really, I'm going to go seining anyways. 

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#7 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

The only fish you can transport out alive from Missouri without a special permit must be of aquaculture origin, no wild caught.  Even then, those I transport both in and out of Missouri have had to have health certificates.  I would go the special permit route if really interested in the fish.

#8 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

The only fish you can transport out alive from Missouri without a special permit must be of aquaculture origin, no wild caught.  Even then, those I transport both in and out of Missouri have had to have health certificates.  I would go the special permit route if really interested in the fish.

I'm not that interested in keeping them.  I'm up there for work, and will only have a little time in the evenings, so it's not a huge deal.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#9 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:52 AM

Bob is the right guy to talk to about this. He knows the rule as well as a legal way to get around it for the convention he hosted in 2006 (and also the upcoming convention), so he might even know a legal way for you to be able to take fish home on your upcoming trip.

I'm actually not sure of the intended purpose of the rule. It doesn't prevent fish from being transported to non-native waters since there is plenty of opportunity for that happening entirely within Missouri. 

#10 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

My understanding is it is the only mechanism the MDC has to prevent establishment of Missouri stocks outside of Missouri.  Missouri has a some endemics, established now on east and west coast and possibly Germany.  Ringed Crayfish is the one I am thinking of there.

#11 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

I do believe I have heard of a way around this, and as everyone else has said, Bob should have the answer. Post pictures!

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users