Photo

58 gallon stocking

11 replies to this topic

#1 Alliet7151

Alliet7151
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum. There is a little creek behind my house that leads to a lake about 5-10 minutes from my house. This creek has creek chubs, bluegill, and green sunfish... Maybe more species, but those are all I've caught in there. A few days ago I brought three baby/little creek chubs home in the 1-2inch range. I know they are creek chubs, not another type of minnow. They are already eating flake and the biggest one takes whole wax worms. My tank is 36" x 18" x 21" (WxLxH). I was wondering if a bluegill or any type of sunfish would do well in my tank? If so, how many? Just one? They tank is cycled and filtered! Thanks :)

#2 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

Sure that would work.  When the sunnies get big, though, they will start chasing the Chubs, which will then try to jump out.  So your time horizon depends on how big the Sunnies are when you start.

#3 Alliet7151

Alliet7151
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

I can get 2 inch bluegill and sunfish. Tiny little guys. Could I get a bluegill and a sunfish? Or would that be too overstocked?

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:44 PM

Maybe ... if they grow up together they might get along, but no promises!  Sex probably plays a factor too (females less territorial), but you wont know that until they're grown.  If you can find orangespotted sunfish, they're usually one of the more sociable sunnies. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

I'd do at least three Sunfish/Bluegills to disperse aggression.  That tank will hold those.  Once they get big, there's no telling, though.

#6 Alliet7151

Alliet7151
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

I brought home a little bluegill yesterday. I really want a Longear, but the one I caught yesterday was around 3 inches or so, and I didn't know if that was too big so I didn't take him. So how big is too big for them to be able to adjust to tank life? I may would be able to use a minnow trap, but I would rather not if it wasn't necessary.

#7 Alliet7151

Alliet7151
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

Well... I was down at the creek, and I caught a few sunnies. One of which looked like his back had a gash taken out of it. It was healed, but looked very deformed. I know raccoons like to walk by this creek??? Anyway, I caught one that looked good to me, was smaller, and I brought it home. What do you guys think? Also, sorry... I'm not too gifted with photography, lol.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#8 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

Looks good to me!  A couple of Green Sunfish and a Bluegill.  Might have been a Heron or a Turtle.  You can acclimate any size fish if you know what you're doing.  Those Greenies are about indestructible.  Bluegills are only a little less hardy.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

thats definitely a green sunfish and will be fun for a while... but eventually they will go all highlander on each other (there can be only one).  But hey, they are very personal and interactive and one will eventually make a nice wet pet and live happily in a 58 gallon tank.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Alliet7151

Alliet7151
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

I am noticing how mean they are. I used to keep African Cichlids. I woke up this morning to my smallest chub gone, and 4 out of 6 of my Zebra Danios gone (which is no big deal because I was selling those anyway so it can be a 100% native tank). Someone sees their reflection... Been flaring this morning. I love him/her lol. I guess he/she is adjusting well? The bluegill was from the lake and he was from the creek. He seems to be adjusting WAY better than the even smaller bluegill. Maybe it's just me. T

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Alliet7151, 25 September 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

Sandwich (my warmouth) flares like that just to tell me that he expects food... stares straight at me and makes his head three times as wide as normal... until I feed him something.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Sandwich (my warmouth) flares like that just to tell me that he expects food... stares straight at me and makes his head three times as wide as normal... until I feed him something.

Cool!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users