A bad day to be an anchovy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:11 AM

Every year, in the late summer, anchovies and silversides form large schools as they work their way out of the local sounds and into the ocean. Twice a day, on the rising and falling tides, some of these school get trapped against our dock, and absolutely annihilated by pinfish, spanish mackerel, bluefish, atlantic thread herring, and various jacks.

Anyway, I thought you guys might enjoy seeing some of the video:

Another day:

https://goo.gl/photo...uNs9tzCdLHmRSQ7

And finally one from a couple of weeks ago:

https://goo.gl/photo...nQDvAxW7oCFREn9

#2 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

Other than Nov 24 ... National Sardine Day, when millions of bait fish of all kinds queue up in front of the White House, hoping for a chance to be one of the lucky "Random 1000" who get to shake "hands" with the President .... it's not real clear that there's any Good Day To Be An Anchovy. 

Neat videos, thanks for sharing. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Wow! The 2nd and 3rd videos are particularly cool. Seems odd there aren't more seabirds there, though. I would think you'd have a compliment of feathered marauders, too.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

That reminds me of those huge Triportheus schools in the Amazon.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#5 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

It's always a bad day to be an Anchovy. One minute they invite you to a pizza party, the next you're a topping. :)

#6 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

Other than Nov 24 ... National Sardine Day, when millions of bait fish of all kinds queue up in front of the White House, hoping for a chance to be one of the lucky "Random 1000" who get to shake "hands" with the President .... it's not real clear that there's any Good Day To Be An Anchovy. 

Neat videos, thanks for sharing. 

lol, fair point! 

Wow! The 2nd and 3rd videos are particularly cool. Seems odd there aren't more seabirds there, though. I would think you'd have a compliment of feathered marauders, too.

They were there, about 10m behind me sitting on the dock in what I can only describe as a food coma. I saw the birds from my office, which tipped me off to what was going on. 

That reminds me of those huge Triportheus schools in the Amazon.

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, that definitely rings some bells!

#7 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

Very interesting!  Looks like it would be a blast fishing a small twister on an ultralight!  Pinfish are pretty fish too.

Kevin Wilson

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

"They were there, about 10m behind me sitting on the dock in what I can only describe as a food coma. I saw the birds from my office, which tipped me off to what was going on. "

That makes a lot more sense. Kinda funny thinking of seabirds in a food coma; like the avian equivalent of most of us after Thanksgiving dinner. :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users