Photo

Banded Sunfish Question?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

I have a banded sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus) that is currently living with 2 northern longears, 3 dollar sunfish and a chub. He was fine for a while but they are getting older, so naturally meaner. He has a chunk missing from his tail now, so I need to move him asap. 

The new tank I currently have setup has a pH of 8.2, that won't change anytime soon unfortunately. If I get him in there gradually, will he be ok to live in it? I know they come from really acidic waters. Also I would be moving some blackstripe topminnows, they should be ok too?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:52 AM

Enneacanthus do seem to come form more acidic waters, but it doesnt seem to be a requirement for them... you can read some past threads here about breeding them and that topic came up specifically... He should be fine is he can recover from the beating the dollars are giving him.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Enneacanthus do seem to come form more acidic waters, but it doesnt seem to be a requirement for them... you can read some past threads here about breeding them and that topic came up specifically... He should be fine is he can recover from the beating the dollars are giving him.

Great! Thanks! Moving him today then!

#4 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

Agree with Michael.  I have found over the years that, barring a few species that require certain conditions, most fish will do just fine in water that has a pH and hardness not like their typical habitat.  Temperature seems to be more of a factor than water chemistry.  They may not breed in these conditions but they will certainly be better of in water of unnatural chemistry compared to being in a tank with the vicious dollar sunfish.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#5 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

Agree with Michael.  I have found over the years that, barring a few species that require certain conditions, most fish will do just fine in water that has a pH and hardness not like their typical habitat.  Temperature seems to be more of a factor than water chemistry.  They may not breed in these conditions but they will certainly be better of in water of unnatural chemistry compared to being in a tank with the vicious dollar sunfish.

Yes agreed! He was looking thinner too and losing his sparkle. I think they were stealing his food. Especially the notoriously gluttonous chub. I hope he pulls through! He was always a brave little guy but when I moved him he hid in my mass bundle of plants for a day and a half I thought for sure he died and then he appeared and attempted to eat but would just spit it out. Day 3 now, hopefully he will eat. 

#6 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

Update:Sunfish is back to his normal self again! Still looking sickly though. All topminnows are ravenously eating per usual. Unidentified shiner/minnow was bold and ravenous yesterday, today he is skittish and dashed behind the wall of plants once I put the food in. Hopefully they all settle in soon I hate seeing my fish scared and confused. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users