Stocking 55 Gallon Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NativeTanks

NativeTanks
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

I am starting my new aquarium and am going to have some plants such as amazon sword, some water grass, java fern, java moss, hornwort, anubias. will have drift wood and two rock caves. i am thinking of a bluegill, a red eye coosae bass, a perch, some juvenile lake chubsuckers three or four stickleback and a brown bull head. also trapdoor snails. i am wondering if it is too much or any advice? thanks! O:)

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:06 AM

Yes. That is too much. At full size the bass or the bullhead will fill up a 55. And if you start with smaller fish, on of those two will likely eliminate the others as they grow towards their goal of world domination.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

The sticklebacks will be food for everything else, the bullhead and bass would each require a tank that size at minimum, the bluegill and perch will probably tear each other up, the chubsuckers won't stay juveniles for long, and most of those guys will eat trapdoor snails. You'll want to pick one of those fish and build the tank around it, or get a MUCH larger starting tank. 

#4 NativeTanks

NativeTanks
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

I would sell the chubsuckers once they grew bigger and just keep one or two. What if instead I just had two perch and two bluegills? I have heard of them getting along before, the trapdoors are quite big, too. I would have all of them the same size when putting them in.

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:35 AM

I would sell the chubsuckers once they grew bigger and just keep one or two. What if instead I just had two perch and two bluegills? I have heard of them getting along before, the trapdoors are quite big, too. I would have all of them the same size when putting them in.

sell "give away"

Nick L.

#6 NativeTanks

NativeTanks
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

Yes. I would for free, that is just the word that popped into my head. Woops

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

I know.  I was just teasing.  And also making sure we keep our wording legit  :-

Nick L.

#8 NativeTanks

NativeTanks
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Okay, yeah thanks for catching that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users