• Central Kentucky

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

For Immediate Release, October 4, 2016

Contact:  Noah Greenwald, (503) 484-7495, ngreenwald@biologicaldiversity.org 
Jim Scheff, (859) 334-0602, jim@kyheartwood.org

Southeastern Kentucky Fish Protected Under Endangered Species Act With 
248 Stream Miles of Critical Habitat

Kentucky Arrow Darter Lost From Half Its Range Due to Mountaintop Removal

LEXINGTON, Ky.— Under a settlement agreement with the Center for Biological Diversity expediting protection decisions for 757 species, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today protected the Kentucky arrow darter, a small fish found only in southeastern Kentucky, under the Endangered Species Act. The agency also protected 248 miles of streams in 10 eastern counties as “critical habitat” for the fish. The fish has been lost from about half of its historical range due primarily to water pollution from surface coal mining. Much of this loss has occurred since the mid-1990s.

Kentucky_Arrow_Darter_Etheostoma_sagitta Kentucky arrow darter photo by Dr. Matthew R. Thomas, Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. This photo is available for media use.

“The Kentucky arrow darter and the streams it depends on have been absolutely devastated by surface coal mining,” said Tierra Curry, a senior scientist at the Center. “Endangered Species Act protection will not only help the darter survive, but will also help protect the health of the people who have to live with polluted water and air from coal mining every single day.”

The streams being proposed for protection as critical habitat are found in Breathitt, Clay, Harlan, Jackson, Knott, Lee, Leslie, Owsley, Perry and Wolfe counties. Critical habitat protection means that any federally funded or permitted project will have to consult with the Service to make sure activities do not hurt the fish or its habitat. 

The Kentucky arrow darter has been lost from 36 of 74 sites, with 16 of these extirpations having taken place since the mid-1990s as mountaintop-removal coal mining expanded. In some counties in eastern Kentucky, nearly one-fifth of the total surface area of the county has been permitted for coal mining, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office. As of 2008, 23 percent of the total area of Perry County and 18 percent of the total area of Knott County were under open permits for surface coal mining.
“I grew up on Troublesome Creek, where the Kentucky arrow darter is now nearly wiped out,” said Curry. “I don't want to see this beautiful fish disappear from any more streams.”

Populations in nearly half of the darters’ occupied streams are ranked as vulnerable and are isolated, putting the species at risk of extinction throughout its range. In addition to coal mining, the Kentucky arrow darter is threatened by logging, oil and gas well development, agricultural runoff and inadequate sewage treatment. The healthiest surviving populations are found on the Daniel Boone National Forest and Robinson Experimental Forest.

“If oil prices go up again, this unique little fish will be in real trouble,” said Jim Scheff, executive director of Kentucky Heartwood. “The oil and gas industry is gunning for fracking in the Rogersville Shale in eastern Kentucky, and there are pending oil and gas projects in Kentucky arrow darter habitat on the Daniel Boone National Forest, where because of antiquated policies concerning split estates, the Forest Service and industry argue that federal environmental laws that would otherwise protect the arrow darter don’t apply.”

Kentucky arrow darters are 5 inches long, with a straw-yellow to pale-green background color most of the year; males become brightly colored during the breeding season, becoming blue-green with scarlet spots and orange bars. They feed on mayflies and young crawdads.

Pollution from surface coal mining in Appalachia has been linked to declines in downstream fish, salamanders, insects and mussels. Mining also threatens downstream communities with pollution and risk of flooding. More than 20 peer-reviewed scientific studies have linked mining pollution in Appalachia to health problems, including increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease and birth defects. More than a million acres of hardwood forest and more than 2,000 miles of streams have already been destroyed by surface coal mining in Appalachia.

To date 177 plants and animals have received protection as a result of the Center's agreement with the Fish and Wildlife Service, and another 20 have been proposed for protection.

http://www.biologica...10-04-2016.html

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

Long time coming. Glad to finally see this awesome species afforded some protection.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

Hey, I have an Arrow Darter t-shirt I picked up "somewhere."  Does that make me cool, or am I just hyper-ventilating and getting too much oxygen to the brain?

Good news, on the species designation but also for the critical habitat protection, which can also help other species or populations at risk in the area. Thanks for sharing.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

First off, I'm glad for the darters, their habitats, and the people of Appalachia.(Yes, I realize that last bit is controversial...) Secondly, thanks for finding me some Riffles fodder, Josh. But lastly, is the statement about expediting 757 decisions correct? What constitutes expediting?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:01 AM

First off, I'm glad for the darters, their habitats, and the people of Appalachia.(Yes, I realize that last bit is controversial...) Secondly, thanks for finding me some Riffles fodder, Josh. But lastly, is the statement about expediting 757 decisions correct? What constitutes expediting?

I'm not really sure what went down here.  Matt Thomas with the KDFWR told me years ago he expected the Arrow darter to be listed in 2014, which was 3-4 years after it was proposed. So, I don't know why they pushed that many species through at one time.

As for the people of Appalachia, it's hard to convince them that it's not just about a little fish, but that water quality is actually a HUGE deal to human health.  Nobody tells them about the increase cancer rates of people who live near and downstream of coal slurry ponds and mountain top removal operations.  All they hear is coal jobs.  The bigger win here is maybe the 250 miles of streams that are also going to be protected.

Here's some more info.  This article is from last year, but relevant:  http://www.kentucky....le42638877.html

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

FWS listing decisions are lumbering processes. It takes constant legal pressure and ankle nipping by a legal team like CBD to push such decisions to completion. It's as good an outcome as could be hoped for under the current system.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#7 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:46 AM

The Kentucky convention was my first as NANFA member. So that little darter always holds a special place. I was glad I got to see one with you guys and even more excited that it's protected.

FishGuyJosh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users