Photo

Northern Sunfish-South West Michigan? locations?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Nightwing

Nightwing
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hey guys, I'm in the Grand Rapids MI, area, looking for location for northern sunfish(northern longears).  I'd like to add some to my large(for the moment) 125 gallon tank to eventually replace the pumpkinseeds that are young of year in there..but destined for a 220 gallon tank going up this next spring.  If anyone has ideas on specific lakes with good populations..and then how to catch them, I'd be gratefull.  I'd prefer NOT to hook and line if possible, but willing to do so if needed(prefer not to start off with mouth wounds...but again, not a deal breaker).  I've tried seins, dip nets, fish traps...catch greens, pumpkinsees, and bluegill...but so far no Northerns.  Tried at least a dozen lakes.   Any ideas?  Am I missing something in location(normal litoral weedbeds), specific lakes perhaps?  Any help appreciated!

edited to add, I have the required DNR scientific collection permits to transport live fish, and definitly practice safe water disposal so as not to move invasives around, in case anyone was concerned.

Paul Willison
Kentwood, Michigan(Lake Michigan watershed).

#2 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

I have had more success catching longears in small clear streams than I have in lakes although I have caught them in both. Stream doesn't have to be very big at all as long as there is more or less permanent flow. I might suggest going to a nearby stream and dipnetting underneath some undercut banks, brush or weeds. That's where I usually find them in good numbers. Good luck.

#3 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

I would recommend checking out fishmap.org and searching for both Northern Sunfish and Longear Sunfish. Some of the old data for Northern Sunfish is filed under Longear.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#4 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Yes, peltastes and megalotis are primarily stream fishes.

#5 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

I actually would not agree with this statement of them both being primarily stream dwelling. This is true with megalotis but not so much with peltastes. Peltastes, particularly as you go north are often found in natural lakes, natural being the key thing here. I have caught them a couple times in lakes in MI and my localities would be on fishmap.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#6 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

I actually would not agree with this statement of them both being primarily stream dwelling. This is true with megalotis but not so much with peltastes. Peltastes, particularly as you go north are often found in natural lakes, natural being the key thing here. I have caught them a couple times in lakes in MI and my localities would be on fishmap.

Fine!   :biggrin:

#7 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

I catch my northern sunfish in a stream with a rocky bottom alongside smallmouth bass. If you ever come down to chicagoland I can take you out.

#8 zeelandtrop

zeelandtrop
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:41 AM

Thornapple River by Hastings might be a good spot to try. Uncle Jim has shown us a few good spots around there for darters. Otherwise the Flat River at Fallasburg Park north of Lowell should be really good habitat.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users