• Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

October+_47_.JPG

#6 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

Great little spot guys, caught a ton of other stuff, these are the only ones I need help id'ing.

#7 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

The top shiners are probably highfins and the bottom is probably a greenhead.  The darter is definitely a seagreen.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#8 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

The top shiners are probably highfins and the bottom is probably a greenhead.  The darter is definitely a seagreen.

Nice, I appreciate it.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:43 AM

Nice, indeed! What kind of condition was the creek in?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Nice, indeed! What kind of condition was the creek in?

This was my second time there because there are a ton of species here and very easy to catch. The creek is about twenty feet wide at its widest and very shallow with riffles where most of the fish are near the bridge where you can park. I put in Ashbury Church Road, Lincolnton, NC and it will take you right to the bridge where you can park. The creek is full of three types of Darters and I mean full. Seagreen, Tessies and Fantails. There are also Fathead Minnows there from bait release, tons of Speckled Killies, Greenhead Shiners, Sandbar Shiners, Sunfish, Bass and some other small stuff. Great spot. The Speckled Killies will be schooled up in the slower parts of the creek near the bridge and everything else is in the rocks near the riffles. Just use a dip net in the riffles and you will pull up Darters every time.

#11 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

Glad to hear it's still in good condition.  You might also get rosyside dace, swallowtail shiner, greenfin & whitefin shiners, highback chub, santee chub, etc.  I havent been there in 15+ years, when I was doing surveys for the new sewer system.  Some of the previously good quality creeks in eastern Lincoln Co have been degraded by development since the sewer system was installed.  Sewer is a double-edged sword:  It is promoted as a way to "improve water quality" by reducing the incidence of untreated sewage spills into creeks (from failed or overloaded septic systems) but it also supports much higher development density, which usually means loss of riparian forest and more culverts.  From what i've seen, it appears that stream ecosystems can tolerate moderate levels of raw sewage leaks from low-density development using septic systems better than they tolerate stormwater runoff and related damage from the higher-density development that sewer systems allow. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#12 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

Glad to hear it's still in good condition.  You might also get rosyside dace, swallowtail shiner, greenfin & whitefin shiners, highback chub, santee chub, etc.  I havent been there in 15+ years, when I was doing surveys for the new sewer system.  Some of the previously good quality creeks in eastern Lincoln Co have been degraded by development since the sewer system was installed.  Sewer is a double-edged sword:  It is promoted as a way to "improve water quality" by reducing the incidence of untreated sewage spills into creeks (from failed or overloaded septic systems) but it also supports much higher development density, which usually means loss of riparian forest and more culverts.  From what i've seen, it appears that stream ecosystems can tolerate moderate levels of raw sewage leaks from low-density development using septic systems better than they tolerate stormwater runoff and related damage from the higher-density development that sewer systems allow. 

Was very healthy and beautiful. Tons of Rosyside Daces and Greenfins there, never got Swallowtails, Whitefins or any chubs. Never saw a place more full of Darters, at least one in every swipe of the net.

#13 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

Spelling is off, but I don't care too much for that creek name. Any history behind it?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#14 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

Spelling is off, but I don't care too much for that creek name. Any history behind it?

Lippard Creek, my bad, there is a nearby Lepper's Creek that I fished awhile back but I don't know any history.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users