Photo

Looking for collecting spots in the Rock Hill area of South Carolina!

23 replies to this topic

#1 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

I seem to be having problems finding streams or creeks near me. I've been to rocky creek in great Falls but the substrate is Sandy and I would like to find some darters, but I know they like a lot of rocks. I'm looking for shiners or other small schooling fish, darters, and maybe some madtoms. Preferably within about 45 minutes from Rock Hill.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

#2 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

Kings Creek over in Kings Creek, SC south of Blacksburg. Think it's about a 45 min drive from rock hill, I've been there a few times and always had good species diversity. That's the first one that pops in my head. I'll keep thinking for more and I'm sure Dustin will have some spots for you.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

I don't have any locations, but here's what I do when looking for new places.

Use Google Maps terrain and Sat views.  Looks for parks near creeks and bridges over creeks.  Then use streetview to find out if there is access and parking.  If you find a location to access the creek, head on over to www.fishmap.org and find that location in the map and click the creek to find out what may be located there.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

I haven't been up in that area much.  There are a few creeks east of Fort Mill that I have tried but they are likely dry or near dry at this point.  Come a little farther south and I can put you on some fish.  What darters and/or shiners are you looking for?

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#5 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

You can probably find seagreen, fantail, and tessellated darters in the area the Stephen recommended.  Margined madtoms for sure.  Rosyside dace, greenfin shiner, whitefin shiner, highback chub, bluehead chub, greenhead shiner, spottail shiner, swallowtail shiner, sandbar shiner, and creek chub

#6 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

I haven't been up in that area much.  There are a few creeks east of Fort Mill that I have tried but they are likely dry or near dry at this point.  Come a little farther south and I can put you on some fish.  What darters and/or shiners are you looking for?

I'm not exactly sure on what kind of shiners, one that won't get more than about 4 inches and possibly fan tail darters. I don't really know what specific species, I'm new to this as you can tell.

#7 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

Kings Creek over in Kings Creek, SC south of Blacksburg. Think it's about a 45 min drive from rock hill, I've been there a few times and always had good species diversity. That's the first one that pops in my head. I'll keep thinking for more and I'm sure Dustin will have some spots for you.

I will definitely check that out once it gets warmer

#8 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

You can probably find seagreen, fantail, and tessellated darters in the area the Stephen recommended.  Margined madtoms for sure.  Rosyside dace, greenfin shiner, whitefin shiner, highback chub, bluehead chub, greenhead shiner, spottail shiner, swallowtail shiner, sandbar shiner, and creek chub

Which ones would you recommend for a 55 gallon? I'll have a power head for flow. I believe it was the margined madtom that I read, can get 7 inches, is that correct? But I definitely would like some type of schooling fish and darters!

#9 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:23 PM

Are there fieryblacks there?

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#10 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

Which ones would you recommend for a 55 gallon? I'll have a power head for flow. I believe it was the margined madtom that I read, can get 7 inches, is that correct? But I definitely would like some type of schooling fish and darters!

I would not recommend margined madtoms because they do get larger.  Tadpole and/or speckled would work well.  Tadpole seem to be a little more active.  There are lots of darters to choose from.  Like Fritz said, you have tesselated, fantail, possibly seagreen and piedmont near you.  A nice active schooling shiner would be nice.  Some colorful options near you are rosysides, greenheads and greenfins, with the possibility of redlips.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#11 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

I would not recommend margined madtoms because they do get larger.  Tadpole and/or speckled would work well.  Tadpole seem to be a little more active.  There are lots of darters to choose from.  Like Fritz said, you have tesselated, fantail, possibly seagreen and piedmont near you.  A nice active schooling shiner would be nice.  Some colorful options near you are rosysides, greenheads and greenfins, with the possibility of redlips.

Awesome thank you, now will the madtoms do good in the higher current that the shiners and darters like? Specifically the tadpole madtoms they seem to be more common.

#12 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

They will be fine.  They will find a spot to avoid the current.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC

#13 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Are there fieryblacks there?

I don't recall finding fieryblacks there.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#14 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:51 PM

Kaleb -  Keep in mind that shiners and dace eat FAST and darters eat SLOW, so if you're keeping them together you need to feed often, so the darters don't starve.  One strategy is to distract the minnows in one area while squirting worms, shrimp or other suitable food to the darters with a baster.  It's easier to keep darters in tanks without greedy minnows.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#15 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

Kaleb -  Keep in mind that shiners and dace eat FAST and darters eat SLOW, so if you're keeping them together you need to feed often, so the darters don't starve.  One strategy is to distract the minnows in one area while squirting worms, shrimp or other suitable food to the darters with a baster.  It's easier to keep darters in tanks without greedy minnows.

Okay I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

#16 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:57 PM

They will be fine.  They will find a spot to avoid the current.

Okay, thank you!

#17 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

Okay sorry for all the questions, last one, how big of a power head would I need for these species for a 55g?

#18 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Are you allowed to walk through the creek or are there parts that private property? Also is there a designated access?

#19 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

Legally speaking, kings Creek could be considered large enough to be "navigable" therefore making any part legal even if the Creek runs through a backyard (assuming the law hasn't changed about navigable waters). But I wouldn't recommend that because it's a fine line. Find a bridge crossing and work within that area. You have a certain amount of feet on each side of any bridge that you're allowed in. I don't have my notes or map with me to give you the location I went in at but it was right around the town of kings creek. Best thing to do is take a day and drive around. Do some scouting and sampling and see what you can come up with.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#20 KalebRinehart

KalebRinehart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:03 AM

Legally speaking, kings Creek could be considered large enough to be "navigable" therefore making any part legal even if the Creek runs through a backyard (assuming the law hasn't changed about navigable waters). But I wouldn't recommend that because it's a fine line. Find a bridge crossing and work within that area. You have a certain amount of feet on each side of any bridge that you're allowed in. I don't have my notes or map with me to give you the location I went in at but it was right around the town of kings creek. Best thing to do is take a day and drive around. Do some scouting and sampling and see what you can come up with.

Okay thank you, I went on to Google maps and fish maps and I found a smaller, less busy road that goes over the creek and I may be able to pull over there and get to it. The road was called rock cut road there was also a road called walker road that the creek ran along side the road for a ways.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users