Photo

Killing hydras WITHOUT nuking daphnia

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hello all! I have two daphnia cultures in 3 gallon storage bins that are fed by the protozoans that are feeding on the hay in the tank. One of the cultures is doing very well after the two weeks it's been around; the other is slowly declining. On closer inspection, it appears that the second culture is being predated by hydras; thus, I am planning to use a Fenbendazole based goat dewormer (namely, the Durvet Safeguard Goat Dewormer, which has 100mg per ml) on both tanks to end the infestation. How much should I use to dispatch the hydras without killing the daphnia? Thankx in advance :)

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

I bet you will end up with dead daphnia no matter the dosage. I would net out the daphnia, clean out the tank and start over. It may not be fully due to the hydra. Daphnia are boom and bust. They are best raised in multiple containers, and cycling them through the containers in my experience. Once they start to crash in one container, move a portion to a new vacant container that already has an abundant food supply established. They seem to populate so quickly that the literally eat themselves out of house and home, and then crash.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users