Photo

Apartments/landlords and fish tanks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hello all! Any experience with the kind of limits landlords set on aquariums?

#2 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Coming from a guy whose moved 10 times in the last 15 years, I've had mixed experiences. This is up to the landlord or property manager to decide.  For me, some have been clearly defined in the pet policy while others just say to get an "okay" from the manager.  I've been places where nothing over 10 gallons permitted, nothing over 30 gallons permitted, nothing over 30 gallons permitted unless on the ground floor (at which there is a 90 gallon limit).  Most pet policies cover mammals, birds, reptiles and insects, but say nothing about fish (I reckon likelihood of escape for fish is nil).  So, it's property dependent.

Willie P

#3 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

I've lived in several apartments over the last almost 10 years...each one seemed to have a different pet policy regarding fish and some never mentioned it. While I am certainly not suggesting going against your lease, I will say that I have had tanks ranging from 10 gallons up to 70 gallons, sometimes up to 5 tanks at a time, always on the 2nd floor even at places that had limits in the lease. They always knew about it, but never cared. Maybe I got lucky.
Just read your lease carefully or talk to your landlord. I think most places biggest concerns are flooding, not weight.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#4 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:49 PM

Remember, you are never in trouble until you get caught! :) 

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

I used to own a 3 family and a two family. We had an aquarium clause, but did not enforce it. Was mostly in case of flood for our insurance purposes. "Tenants brought the aquarium in without our knowledge. See it forbids it in their lease right here."

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

All very true. The last place I lived said they didn't really care what size tank I had as long as I had adequate coverage for my renter's insurance, which is usually required by most apartment complexes anyway.

Willie P

#7 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

All very true. The last place I lived said they didn't really care what size tank I had as long as I had adequate coverage for my renter's insurance, which is usually required by most apartment complexes anyway.

Most renters insurance only covers personal property.  The insurance the building owner has would cover water damage to the structure.  However, if the tenant agreement has an aquarium clause and you have a leak, you could be stuck with the bill on the damage, or at least the deductible on that coverage*.  

*full discloure, I'm an insurance adjuster, but don't handle property and every policy is different, so take that with a grain of salt

I say it's best to ask.  Then if you are breaking the rules, at least you'll be aware of the consequences.  When I lived in an apartment, they didn't allow more than 55gal, but I had a 75...

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users