Yellow Perch question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KHOP_*

Guest_KHOP_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

First Id like to say hi to everyone. Im new to the board. Just got into the native fish hobby. I live in Washington state.

I just got my first specimen. Its a 3-4" Yellow Perch. I have had him in the tank 4 or 5 days now. My concern is his behavior. Most of the time he just swims into some fake plants I have in the tank and lays near the bottom hardly moving at all. The only way i've been able to tell he is even alive is slight eye movements and a little movement from his gills. Im no expert on fish by any means, but this doesn't seem like healthy behavior. The fish does seem to be feeding though. I had about 10 small fish in the tank on his introduction, and there are currently only 6 left. Is this behavior consistant with others here? From reading other posts it sounds like it might be, but wanted to check.

More on my tank set up... I have a 55 gallon glass tank. I got this as an established tropical tank with some cichlids. I sold them to a pet store and prepared it for natives. Aquascaping and such. In the mean time I introduced 10 zebra danios just to keep the bio filter going. I figured once I got my natives they would turn into feeders which they have. As far as filtration goes I have a Fluval 305 and Aquaclear 70. The nitrates/nitrites are pretty much non-existant. Water temp today is about 66F.

Other plans call for 1 or 2 more fish. Either Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, or Rockbass. I have to wait a little while longer for those since the water temps around here are still colder, and those fish aren't as active yet. I wish we had more variety up in the NW like some of you else where.

Kevin

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Welcome to the site. I believe it to be normal behavior as mine did that for the year+ that I had it. It might be a different story if you had a school of them in a big tank. You will want to at least upgrade to a 75G in a year's time as the 55 will be too small. I kept mine with green sunfish and warmouth so you shouldn't have too many problems keeping them with sunfish.

#3 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

When I've kept Yellow Perch they did the same thing but only for a couple weeks. Once they get used to the tank they are fine especially if they get used to you providing the food. Once the feeders are gone hold off a couple days then drop in the feeders for one feeding at a time till you are recognised and welcomed.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

When I've kept Yellow Perch they did the same thing but only for a couple weeks. Once they get used to the tank they are fine especially if they get used to you providing the food. Once the feeders are gone hold off a couple days then drop in the feeders for one feeding at a time till you are recognised and welcomed.

This was my experience also. You don't need to feed it live feeders, though. Mine devours freeze-dried freshwater shrimp. Actually, it devours anything I feed it, which includes occasional live feeders, but mainly the freeze-dried.

They are peaceful toward all other tankmates, so long as the tankmates are not small enough to eat. Beautiful fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users