24 replies to this topic

#21 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

1, 2, 11 - White shiners, most likely

3 - Roanoke darter

4, 7, 14 - Bluehead or Bull chubs - i cant ID juveniles from photos, but blueheads are far more numerous.

5 - Swallowtail or Spottail shiner?  Small Spottails look very close to Swallowtails.  If fins were distinctly yellow, then Swallowtail.

6, 10 - Satinfin shiners.  (White, Satinfin, and Swallowtail are the most abundant shiners in Eno)

8, 9, 17 - Pinewoods shiners (note spot at dorsal base on #8, and very small scales between head and dorsal)

12, 13, 18 - Johnny, or at least what's usually called "Johnny" in the upper Tar & Neuse basins.

15 - Chainback

16 - Spottail

If you got any shiners in Eno that looked similar to those Duskys from Rockingham, they'd be Highfins.

No Jumprocks or Hogsuckers, huh?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#22 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:51 AM

1, 2, 11 - White shiners, most likely

3 - Roanoke darter

4, 7, 14 - Bluehead or Bull chubs - i cant ID juveniles from photos, but blueheads are far more numerous.

5 - Swallowtail or Spottail shiner?  Small Spottails look very close to Swallowtails.  If fins were distinctly yellow, then Swallowtail.

6, 10 - Satinfin shiners.  (White, Satinfin, and Swallowtail are the most abundant shiners in Eno)

8, 9, 17 - Pinewoods shiners (note spot at dorsal base on #8, and very small scales between head and dorsal)

12, 13, 18 - Johnny, or at least what's usually called "Johnny" in the upper Tar & Neuse basins.

15 - Chainback

16 - Spottail

If you got any shiners in Eno that looked similar to those Duskys from Rockingham, they'd be Highfins.

No Jumprocks or Hogsuckers, huh?

Nice! I didn't see any Suckers or Jumprocks, but I was in the shallow riffles most of the time. I know there are Blacktip Jumprocks there which I need however.

#23 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

Here's a blacktip we caught there in Apr 2010.  I think this was during one of Jan Porinchak's NC visits.

Attached Images

• DSC03745.Scarto.cervinus.Eno.cr.JPG

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#24 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:01 PM

That Roanoke is a pretty fish! Is it really that green, or is my vision tainted by all the envy these taldridge posts are stirring up? :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#25 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

That Roanoke is a pretty fish! Is it really that green, or is my vision tainted by all the envy these taldridge posts are stirring up? :)

Haha, they were really beautiful. Green and blue and orange.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users