Photo

South Carolina Collecting Tips

9 replies to this topic

#1 pitt20

pitt20
  • NANFA Guest
  • SC

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Hey y'all, I'm a freshman at Clemson and I'm looking to put some native fish in a tank in my dorm. I bought a betta to use as a sort of test run to see how easy it'd be to take care of fish in the dorm. I'm looking to get out and collect the second semester and I'm interested in keeping blackbanded sunfish or bluefin killifish. If anyone knows of any locations that I could reliably collect either species I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Dustin, Fritz,and Matt K. can probably steer you right. Nice to see that you test the water before jumping in. Not knocking blackbanded sunfish at all, but I have found bluefin killifish very fun and easy to spawn. I did so in a bare bottom tank with a lot of hornwort. Basement temperatures and just a 14 hour light cycle. Used some live food. Have only kept a single blackbanded sunfish. It was a nice addition to a smaller community tank. Striking species for sure.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. Check out the website, and if you like our mission, consider joining and supporting our grants and web presence.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Welcome pitt20.  There are lots of people that might be interested in getting out in the water with you.  I'm over in the Athens, GA area and we get over that way every once in a while.  We even have a few members that are Clemson grads and have some experience with the local fishes.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hi there and welcome. I collect and fish SC almost weekly and with help from Dustin and the staff members here, know a ton of spots where I have collected over 120 species since May of 2016. I like to get out a lot and if you are interested in some spots or collecting together that would work too.

Tim

#5 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

also I'm sure Stephen Beaman would glad to help you find bluefin killies

#6 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

I would be happy to take you to get bluefins or blackbanded sunfish. Blackbandeds are near by but you have to head towards Charleston for the bluefins.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#7 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'm also happy to help out where I can. I'd love to get out and help collect some blackbandeds and bluefins. Let us know when you want to and let's try to get something together with everyone!

Go Tigers!

Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hey there, Pitt20!  I'm in Ninety Six, SC; a little over an hour away from you.  I'm very bad about being online lately, so forgive my late response.  If you decide to try for some fish, keep me in the loop and hopefully I'll find it in time to join in.  You have some very valuable resources at your disposal in regards to those who've responded to you.  Except for maybe me and Beaman.  I am accused of being a jinx, and Beaman is a great guy, but do not trust him to give you directions.  On the other hand, Beaman does have a few nice collecting locations, Dustin has a zillion locations and buys lunch, Michael has a genuine desire to foster love of fishes in anyone and a sweet yellow topless Jeep that loves running in the rain, Fritz can id any fish on the east coast blindfolded (Fritz has to be able to see, however...).  I have not collected with Tim but he seems to have boundless energy and time.  Matt DLV, is pretty dang tireless in the encouragement department.  Be warned about DLV though, just as hanging with Beaman will get you lost sooner or later, hanging out with the Big D will get you into trouble eventually...

As you can see, we kid and have fun together.  All the above mentioned have been great to me, and I'm just a small change NANFAn.    If I can help ya chase fins, let me know, and if not, these other guys come highly recommended! 

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#9 killier

killier
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

Also, depending on the time frame, I am usually available for an outing and happen to be a wee bit closer to Clemson (Greenville, SC) than the rest of these cats. 

trust the killienut
-Robert Godzinski

#10 pitt20

pitt20
  • NANFA Guest
  • SC

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:43 PM

I apologize for never following up on this post. It's been hectic since getting back to school and I'm in the middle of the first round of exams right now, but I appreciate all the responses. I'd love to get out sometime after things calm down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users