Photo

Biggest sunfish and catfish for a 65 gallon tank?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BISHOP710

BISHOP710
  • NANFA Guest
  • California

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

Dimensions: Tank: 18.4"L x 36.4"W x 25"H

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

Sandwich has a tank about that size and he is quite happy.  pretty much had his own thread for a while... and he is still doing very well... but he has gotten too big to photograph (doesnt fit in the photo tank I think).  There is a video that shows most all of his tank in the thread.

http://forum.nanfa.o...th/?hl=warmouth

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Are you interested in just one of each?  Specifically the sunfish?  Pretty much any Lepomis would work long term.  Greens are pretty personable, and give you that "grouper" type of feel.  You'd have some luck with a juvenile bullhead for a few years, but it would outgrow that tank.  A few Margined or Tadpole madtoms would be perfect.

Nick L.

#4 BISHOP710

BISHOP710
  • NANFA Guest
  • California

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

I would prefer to have a sunfish and catfish together. If not I'll stick with either a Warmouth or a Green Sunfish. Sandwich looks awesome in that video. What catfish was in that video?

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

In the beginning when sandwich was more of a ritz cracker and up until he was about the size of a biscuit. He lived with some margined madtoms. That tank was only about 12 inches deep. He moved out of that to the big tank shortly after that video.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 BISHOP710

BISHOP710
  • NANFA Guest
  • California

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Would a Warmouth and Stonecat be ok? Or is that too much for my tank. Also how big is Sandwich now?

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Properly sized, I think they would be OK, but I have no personal experience with stonecats  There were actually two margined madtoms in his first tank and he never bothered them much, and they never went after him... and they were over 6 inches by the time he moved out of that tank (three years ago) into the big show tank you see in the "Hanging with Sandwich" video. I dont think you would be over taxing the filter if you had substrate and plants like I do.  It would all be about habitat... Sandwich enjoys lurking under that huge swordplant... any cat would have to have a different favorite place.

I really don't know how big he is... he was at least 8 inches in that other phototank picture and that was the last time I have handled him... cant hardly think about the mess it would make to try to take him out of the show tank now.  He continues to grow (in all three dimensions... by my eye he is in the range of two inches thick and ... MUCH larger than my hand... maybe 10-12 inches long?) on a diet of massivore pellets and some dried krill/shrimp things that he sucks off the surface... but he doesn't like them as much and hides after one of those... for the pellets he hits it, hides, and then comes back to the glass for another one.  When I am out of town, my wife has fed him as many as 5 in a row, just cause it is fun to watch, and he seems to eager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users