Photo

shipping supplies

9 replies to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

Where is the best place to get shipping supplies? I need bags, rubber bands, and boxes. Are breathing bags best? 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

Breathing bags can work, but O2 and a real bag is much safer. Uline has good bags. You can get bags off of aquabid. You can get an O2 tank from Tractor supply company. Or you can take a couple balloons to a welder and give them a couple bucks to fill them. Don't use welding O2 for gar, bowfin or any other obligate air breather. Will kill them. I promise.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

DLV, can you elaborate more on 02 from Tractor Supply? I looked up their site and found these options; http://www.tractorsu...en gas cylinder

For an everyday schmoo like me, is there a cost effective option? Is this like propane, where I'd buy one tank and keep it for refills rather than trading it in each time? I'm assuming 20 ft3 would last me a long, long time.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

I never used them but they are a vendor on a reef site and have great reviews. They also have a shipyourreptile business which also has great reviews. You also get to use their cooperate account for discounted shipping.

https://shipyouraquatics.com/

A LFS might be able to fill your bags with O2 for you. A dive shop might be able to help. If you want a small bottle for you house something like spare air will work. This is a small air tank divers will carry as a back up.

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

DLV, can you elaborate more on 02 from Tractor Supply? I looked up their site and found these options; http://www.tractorsu...en gas cylinder

For an everyday schmoo like me, is there a cost effective option? Is this like propane, where I'd buy one tank and keep it for refills rather than trading it in each time? I'm assuming 20 ft3 would last me a long, long time.

Yeah,the TSC option is pricey for an occasional shipper. The Spare Air idea is good. I tend to get altitude sickness above 7000ft. Last time we were out west Heather found O2 bottles at a pharmacy just for that. I imagine you can find those online.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

I have never used oxygen to ship, most if not all of the fish or crayfish arrived live. I doubt I'll be shipping enough to justify TSC but I have decided to start breeding natives and again and collecting them as well. Never say never! 

Thanks for the links Cu! 

Michael

#7 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:25 AM

I like Kordon Breathing Bags for very small fish, an inch or less.  The lack of air space means they don't slosh around, and for some reason I dont understand sloshing seems to be more stressful to very small fish.  O2 transport through the bag is easily sufficient for small fish.  For bigger fish (3"+), fin spines and O2 diffusion rate might be limiting, so I'd use regular polyethylene bags.  Whether or not to fill bags with O2 depends how long they'll be in the bags.  If 2 days or less, ambient air is usually fine.   Adding O2 will NOT reduce the fishes' ammonia production, so over-crowding is still deadly whether you use O2 or not.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#8 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

I'm getting bags and various related supplies from Pentair/AES. If your order is over $50.00 the shipping is free. What's cool about that is I got a large circular tank from them and even though it had to be shipped freight the shipping was free. This is great as usually shipping can be just as much or more than a fish tank! 

#9 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

I use Jehmco for all of my shipping supplies.  You do pay shipping but their prices are very reasonable.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#10 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

I use Jehmco for all of my shipping supplies.  You do pay shipping but their prices are very reasonable.

Thanks, i had forgotten about them... 

Michael

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users