Photo

Rainbow Shiners, where are you?!?!

15 replies to this topic

#1 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:57 AM

I just finished setting up the layout of my 30 gallon long in my room. I can get a pic later but its all hardscape with large white rugged stones and black sand. I love the way they are arranged, and in my quest to find the perfect fish to put inside, I stumbled upon rainbow shiners. THESE FISH ARE PERFECT for my vision. I really want to get some, as this tank is in my room and I put a lot of time and thought into it and want it to look epic. 

Every online vendor is out of  stock, if really they are not obtainable unless I live in the south, then I'll start searching again... but I just can't get these fish out of my head.

If anyone knows where I can get some, please let me know!!!! (P.S. I have time because my tank needs to cycle.... although I have another tank set up for the time being, if I need to get them right now.)

#2 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

I have them at times.  They're being bred in Czechoslovakia and come in through tropical fish wholesalers.  I'm also working on a breeding project.  Send me your email if you'd like to be on the mailing list.  Also follow us on Facebook:  https://www.facebook...450215845054995

#3 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

I have them at times.  They're being bred in Czechoslovakia and come in through tropical fish wholesalers.  I'm also working on a breeding project.  Send me your email if you'd like to be on the mailing list.  Also follow us on Facebook:  https://www.facebook...450215845054995

Sent you a pm, thanks! If anyone else knows more  I'm still listening :)

#4 Fisher88

Fisher88
  • NANFA Guest
  • US

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

Aqua bid had a few weeks ago. It was one of the common sellers there. If you can't find the old ad just message all of them.

#5 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Aqua bid had a few weeks ago. It was one of the common sellers there. If you can't find the old ad just message all of them.

Thank you!

#6 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Head for Collinsville south of Fort Payne, Alabama, off of I-59, you can't not catch them in Little Willis Creek........
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#7 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

Head for Collinsville south of Fort Payne, Alabama, off of I-59, you can't not catch them in Little Willis Creek........

I live in Chicago though, if I could of caught them I'd already have a million lol

#8 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Have you checked out southern redbelly dace?  They are great aquarium fish, very attractive, and are native here in IL.

I also enjoy spotfin shiners and red shiners.  If you want to go after these with me when the weather gets warmer let me know.  I am in Aurora, IL.

#9 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

Southern redbelly dace are beautiful, hardy fish that school very well. I highly recommend them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 juhason

juhason
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Have you checked out southern redbelly dace?  They are great aquarium fish, very attractive, and are native here in IL.

I also enjoy spotfin shiners and red shiners.  If you want to go after these with me when the weather gets warmer let me know.  I am in Aurora, IL.

Southern redbelly dace are beautiful, hardy fish that school very well. I highly recommend them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes redbellies are very gorgeous! I spent a lot of time on the idea of this tank though and rainbow shiners just fit so perfect in my theme! I will definietly keep you in mind though if I can't find them, as I've always wanted some redbellies! And spotfin and red shiners are also great! Thanks! 

#11 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:02 PM

Rainbow shiners are on aquabid right now.

#12 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

If I could lend my $0.02 to the dace poll, Mountain redbellies have the edge over Southerns IMO.  But Rainbows win for sure.

Nick L.

#13 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

I might agree, but apparently you either catch MRBD yourself or you're out of luck.

Edited by Duckman77, 18 April 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#14 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

Jonah's Aquarium has Southerns from time to time.

EDIT: Reading closer, it says they can be special ordered, depending on season/quantity ordered.

Nick L.

#15 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

I've got both Rainbow Shiners and Southern Redbellies in stock.  Just got some Orangethroat Darters in too.  Email me:  jonah@jonahsaquarium.com

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

:D/ @juhason

Nick L.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users