New to Native fish keeping.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Warhawk

Warhawk
  • NANFA Guest
  • Fort Wayne IN

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to keeping fish I have 10+ years of experience with aquariums but I got kinda serious about 7 years or so. Like most fish keepers that has been doing this a while I have keep most of the common fish, few not so common and even some CARE fish over the years. One of my favorite fish is the simple guppy, nice colors, easy to keep and great fun to watch in a tank. I currently have a tank of Poecilia minma(started with F1s) and they are quickly becoming one of my top 5 fish. My current fish room has 36 tanks ranging from 150g down to 5.5g, not all of them currently have fish and some are just for fry/grow out tanks. Currently I'm re working the room to get the most use out of my limited space, then thinking about expanding it toward the end of the year.

I have always like the small native fish they just looked very interesting. I always watched for NA fish when at fish stores or club auctions but nothing really caught my eye. Until I was watching Fish videos on Youtube this morning and the video was talking about commonly over looked fish in the hobby. It listed the Pygmy Sunfish which got me searching for them and I found this site.

Then started thinking about my room and what I'm doing to change it up, I could set aside 3-4 tanks just for NA fish. This got to thinking about where to get fish so I hit the" free auction site for fish"(not sure if we can tag the site or not) and while I haven't order from them I do see some "Darters" never heard of those but I need some. :D/  

So hoping to learn more about the NA Native fish and in the next few months get some tanks setup. Plus with years of fish keeping experience I might be of some help to others.

Okay enough about me time to go read some treads.

#2 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Welcome aboard!  You'll get hooked here for sure.  Check out our Commercial Vendors section, they have lots of good choices if you wish to purchase native species.

Wow, lots of activity in that fish room!  :D/

I'm not sure of the laws in your state, but if it's legal, you could collect and create a local to you biotope tank.

Kevin Wilson

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

I am surely envious of the amount of tank space you have!  There are all manner of fascinating NA fishes.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what's available to us here in NA.  There are oodles of darters to choose from, and more than one of us on here is a pygmy sunfish fan.  If you're into the big cichlid thing, our sunfish won't disappoint.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  (Not even, really)  Speaking of Berg, Mike Berg is the Regional Rep for Indiana.  He may be able to help you out with some Hoosier State guidelines and collecting tips.  Purchasing fish is something most of us have done, but at the same time I think most of us would agree that "gittin' yer own" is way more rewarding!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Warhawk

Warhawk
  • NANFA Guest
  • Fort Wayne IN

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

Welcome aboard!  You'll get hooked here for sure.  Check out our Commercial Vendors section, they have lots of good choices if you wish to purchase native species.

Wow, lots of activity in that fish room!  :D/

I'm not sure of the laws in your state, but if it's legal, you could collect and create a local to you biotope tank.

I will check the vendor section for sure.

I really enjoy my fish room and it keeps me out of trouble mostly 

I have read all the laws in Indiana on fish species and I don't think we have any thing I need to worry about but I will have to check them again it has been a few years. A Biotope tank would be pretty cool.

I am surely envious of the amount of tank space you have!  There are all manner of fascinating NA fishes.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what's available to us here in NA.  There are oodles of darters to choose from, and more than one of us on here is a pygmy sunfish fan.  If you're into the big cichlid thing, our sunfish won't disappoint.  That's just the tip of the iceberg.  (Not even, really)  Speaking of Berg, Mike Berg is the Regional Rep for Indiana.  He may be able to help you out with some Hoosier State guidelines and collecting tips.  Purchasing fish is something most of us have done, but at the same time I think most of us would agree that "gittin' yer own" is way more rewarding!

My tanks started with a 20g H a buddy gave my son, everything was going well until I got the 150g then the room happened.

The darters and the pygmy sunfish look very nice but not sure I have enough tanks for all the neat NA fish I will want to keep. I will have to do some checking for sure and see what I can keep in 55g or 75g I get get those tanks pretty easy or maybe a 125g, then I can get some bigger fish. I currently have 2 Oscars, Texas, Green Terror(still small) and 2 common plecos in my room, I do enjoy the big guys but tanks are so expensive. But might need to get a larger one for some sunfish... 

I will have to talk with Mike Berg to be sure I do things the right way for sure. I don't mind purchasing but I hadn't even thought about collecting my own, that would be freaking awesome! I know what I'm doing this summer, just to find a good place.

I like using 29g tanks or 55g so smaller fish are my first choice. I have never setup a Biotope but that might be what I do after I get my fry tanks finished. I'm breeding some fish to sale to the LFS it helps offset the cost of the fish room.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users