Photo

Would Love Some Help Stocking 75 Gallon Native Tank!

3 replies to this topic

#1 csbingham75

csbingham75
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Hey everyone,
New to this forum but wow lots of knowledgeable people on here from the looks of things! So, I've added a new aquarium to the collection and moved my Central American Cichlids into a larger tank and my Australian rainbows into a different tank as well (been busy this weekend haha) so I have a 75 gallon that I'm aching to turn into a Native tank! I've been emailing with Mark from Jonahsaquarium and I'm just waiting to decide what to stock in this tank. It's gunna have some pretty good intentional current in the tank as well. Really love the striped shiner (luxilus chrysocephalus) and he has them in stock so deff want to have a group of those. Are creek chubs (semotilus atromaculatus) just too large as adults to keep in a 75? Love them and their behavior but I've seen some big ones.. also what would be a good lepomis to keep with the luxilus? Don't want to go with bluegills they get to big.. love dollars just haven't had any personal experience with them. Central longears are beautiful but I've heard they're very aggressive.. let's hear some recommendations! Apologies for the long winded post.. thanks!

#2 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:38 AM

I would pass on the striped shiners for a 75g tank.  I had a group in a 1000g tank that used every inch of space.  They get fairly large and are very active.  If I were stocking a 75 or similar size tank, I'd look at building a community around blue spot sunfish or orange spot sunfish.  There are lots of smaller shiners, minnows, darters, and killifish that would make good tank mates for them as well.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

I have Cyprinellas and Notropis shiners together in a 75 along with some Blackbanded Darters... makes for a nice community tank.  People have had mixed success with Lepomis, but I might suggest a single individual if you are really interested. 

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

Where are you located, generally?  Collecting your own fishes is quite rewarding if the legalities allow.  Not trying to steer you away from Jonah's (or any of our vendors here on the forum) and I enthusiastically recommend their Perfect Dipnet.  But if you haven't looked at what's available in your own backyard, you may want to consider it, even if you don't wind up collecting your own... 

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users