Photo

Hello from Western New York

4 replies to this topic

#1 Redfin Shiner

Redfin Shiner
  • NANFA Guest
  • East Amherst NY

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

Hello there! I couldn't help but notice this cool forum, while browsing aquabid. I've done some basic browsing, and realized this place is awesome. Ever since I have been a few years old I had an interest for the fish in my area, despite the fact there wasn't many of them. Every summer we went to the Adirondacks, and that was truly awe-inspiring for me as a child. My first encounter was when my older brother brought a juvenile Bullhead back to WNY. Later in my life however, I began keeping tropical fish, and eventually native fish weren't even a thought in the back of my head. But this has enspred me to finally start my first native aquarium. 

#2 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

Welcome, your area actually has some nice natives including rainbow, greenside, fantail, log perch darters, as well as some cool shiners and chubs but keeping fish native to NY is not allowed.  Others have reportedly gotten different answers so you might want to check with your local DEC.  Alternatively, Aquabid has a natives section, and we have native vendors here on the forum.  The Central NY Aquarium Society in Syracuse as an annual auction coming sat April 29th which will likely have some north American natives available.  And best yet the MO NANFA Convention is in early June.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hi there, Red Fin!  

Like you, my interest in fish and the outdoors in general has it roots in Upstate NY, although more central NY and the Southern Tier.  Steuben and Onondaga and Oswego Counties mostly.  There are quite a few neat fish up your way.  Down in Cattaraugus County (where many of my older roots are buried) there has been a really cool initiative to reestablish Gilt Darters in Olean Creek.  If you haven't seen it yet, there is a recently released ebook, the Atlas of NY Fishes.  I will try to find you the link later today if you don't have it, or if someone doesn't beat me to it.

As Mike Lucas said, be wary of your legalities of native keeping in NY and once you are comfortable with the law, jump in!

Glad to have you aboard!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

The free download of the Atlas of Inland Fishes of New York can be found at the New York State Museum website (see volume 7).

All the best on setting up your native aquarium!

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

The free download of the Atlas of Inland Fishes of New York can be found at the New York State Museum website (see volume 7).

All the best on setting up your native aquarium!

Thanks for finding that for me. I ordered one of the print copies when they were available. Love that book!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users