Photo

keeping bay scallops

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

Hey folks, does anyone know, does fishmap.org have good records for Florida?  I'm researching collecting sites for an upcoming trip.  Any good info would be _much_  appreciated!  Thanks!

Mark Binkley

614-723-9082

there's a guy in Crystal River FL. who wants to start a public aquarium, a big dream for a small town. since scalloping in the grass flats is a big thing here, i'd like to suggest a display tank highlighting scallops , and some of the other critters seen there. But i've never seen them kept successfully, though it's not a fish , anyone know anything about keeping scallops, i just admire, catch ,and eat them.

#2 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:25 AM

there's a guy in Crystal River FL. who wants to start a public aquarium, a big dream for a small town. since scalloping in the grass flats is a big thing here, i'd like to suggest a display tank highlighting scallops , and some of the other critters seen there. But i've never seen them kept successfully, though it's not a fish , anyone know anything about keeping scallops, i just admire, catch ,and eat them.

I know nothing about successfully keeping scallops, but here are some ramblings:

I have kept bay scallops. We had an aquaculture facility that was closing down some large raw seawater storage tanks, and I was allowed to dig through it all and collect whatever animals I wanted out of them. I collected all sorts of inverts, and since they were all going to be killed, I decided to try and keep some scallops alive in a 90 gallon local tank I had setup. 

I was able to keep them alive for about 2 months, feeding them on a proprietary plankton product produced at that same lab. Feeding was extremely difficult, as I had to spray the plankton into the water upstream of the scallops using a turkey baster, and try not to spook them into closing up at the same time. Honestly, I think they ended up dying from starvation, and I never really liked this feeding technique, but it was the best I could come up with. A professional aquarist will probably have a better method. 

It's also worth noting that scallops swim. A lot. And it is loud. As some sort of protest they clapped all night long in my 90g, and I about lost my mind by the end of the 2 months. Dying is the only thing that saved them from the deep fryer. 

Not sure if this helps you or not, but good luck! I hope you guys have better luck than I did!

#3 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

Many aquariums run open systems in Florida, which is when they pump water from the ocean into the display directly and back into the ocean. If he is doing this it might supply a good source of plankton.

#4 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

Many aquariums run open systems in Florida, which is when they pump water from the ocean into the display directly and back into the ocean. If he is doing this it might supply a good source of plankton.

unfortunately he is planning on building it at a downtown mall

#5 truecrimson

truecrimson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Leb-A-non, PA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

I have no clue what I am talking about so please bear that in mind.

Could you introduce the plankton/food at the outflow end of a sump, and let that carry it into the main tank so as not to spook the scallops?

Although I think being in a downtown mall itself would spook them.  It usually spooks me.

PS: Please keep us posted.  I find the idea of keeping scallops very interesting.  Way beyond my abilities, or resources, but interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users