Humane way to kill snake heads?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Redfin Shiner

Redfin Shiner
  • NANFA Guest
  • East Amherst NY

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

I will be going on a trip to a friends house near the Potomac River in MD, and I know Snakeheads live in the area. I plan on going fishing there, so what would be the best/humane way to kill snakeheads, and fish in general? I've seen people slitting the gills, cutting off the head, and hammering the fish, so what would be the best way to euthanize them?

#2 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Just eat them?

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

I think that the first two options are what most people do. Don't keep them alive, illegal to possess live ones. They are delicious!

Kevin Wilson

#4 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

I've heard stories from reputable sources of snakeheads being found alive and well with injuries that would kill just about any other fish (gills cut, etc).  So whatever you do, make sure you finish the job.  And definitely try eating them.

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Slitting the gills and allowing them to bleed out is humane and the heart pumps most of the blood out providing cleaner meat.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

I ice all the my fish. But then I'm a mafia kind of guy, 

Actually a that's only with the ones I eat. The fish I raise to sell to taxidermists I overdose on MS-222 or Clove Oil. Of course you don't want to do that with fish you're going to eat. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users