Photo

North Georgia Education Events

2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

I had the opportunity to tell a couple groups about fishes in the last three weeks.  Both events were at Ivy Creek (a location I have talked about before in the Chattahoochee Drainage).

The first group was the Southeastern Environmental Education Association. These are teachers (traditional classroom and others) from across the southeast that are meeting to learn new techniques and share their experiences teaching about outdoors and natural topics.  I do a session called Teaching With Native Fishes where they get the chance to seine the creek.  I set up a stream side aquarium and we have the chance to identify a dozen or so species including this guy. They are always surprised by the species diversity.

Ivy Creek Yellowfin.jpg

Last weekend we had another opportunity to introduce a couple of groups of Citizen Scientists to some stream fishes.  Georgia's adopt-a-stream program is a citizen based water quality monitoring program.  Once a year they have a convention for all these people called Confluence, to get them together from across the state here in the Atlanta area.  These folks are already very interested in stream health, so showing them how they can observe, and monitor fishes is an easy sell.  They love getting in the water and seeing fish.

Between the two days we saw:

• Midlands Water Snake
  • Dekays Brown Snake
  • Southern Two-Lined Salamander
  • White Tuberculed Crayfish
  • Chattahoochee Crayfish
  • Southern Brook Lamprey (these were particularly interesting as we usually see them here, but usually in the sand substrate... this time they seemed to all be in the rocky substrate areas of the shallow parts of the stream... as we were leaving we saw why... look for my post in ancient fishes to see what we found)
  • Gambusia
  • Snail Bullhead Cat
  • Alabama Hogsuckeralabama hogsucker face.jpg
  • White Sucker
  • Stoneroller
  • Bluehead Chubbluehead chub.jpg
  • Creek Chub
  • Dixie Chubdixie chub.jpg
  • Yellowfin Shiner (see above)
  • Redbreast Sunfish
  • Green Sunfish
  • Bluegill
  • Warmouth
  • Blackbanded Darterblackbanded darter.jpg

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

Excellent work, Michael!  It always impresses me how much enthusiasm you have, and how much energy you expend, for our native fishes.  Thanks!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

I agree with Matt !

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users