Photo

Round Goby research

17 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Muller

Bob Muller

Member Services

• Member Services

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

I have been a NANFA member for about 20 years starting as a person that just kept native fishes.  This has grown into the last 5 years doing research of the fish communities in the Rouge River in south east Michigan.  A chance to jump in the water and catch fishes more often then ever before.  Mostly what we have been doing is gathering data on the Round Gobys migration upstream after a dam was removed.  The Round Goby has been in the Great Lakes since 1980 but only in the last dozen years started into the tributaries.  In the Great Lake it has taken out many darter and sculpin species.  Will it do the same in the rivers?  We have had several sources of funding but they are getting thin and not covering all the sampling we feel we should do. Below is link to our site and more info.  Please take a look and respond to this post with any questions.

Also the Goby is out of the Great Lakes and moving toward the Mississippi River so its coming to a stream near you.  Were trying to find out before it gets to what may happen.

Bob Muller

hope to see you at the 2017 convention

https://experiment.c...ar-how-complete

or

goo.gl/w9uRwV 

#2 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've caught them in the Illinois River here in Peoria.  I'm sure one will show up in St. Louis before long.

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

Great project Bob and Phil!  Any clues on why round gobies DON'T occupy streams surrounding their native Black Sea and Caspian Sea?   Trying to predict the potential invasiveness of exotic species based on their native habitat requirements becomes a pointless academic exercise if species introduced to new places can adapt to entirely different habitats.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Bob Muller

Bob Muller

Member Services

• Member Services

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Gerald

Yes, they were in the Great Lakes at least 20 years before moving up the rivers.  We have no real idea why, but as you said when a species is placed in another location around the world it can act very different then in it native range.  Possible some other native species in the rivers around the Black Sea the goby cannot compete with  and keeps them out.  In the Lower Rouge back in the 1920s Carl Hubbs sampled Johnny, greenside, rainbow, fantail and least.  From the numbers all but the Johnny darter were going down.  Today Johnny darter the second most common fish we sample, the goby takes them out within 2 - 3 years of arriving at that site.  The Lower is a very degraded River.  We are also sampling other local better quality rivers and see Darter species seeming to hold there own with the goby.  But its going to take years to see the end result.

Bob

#5 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

Reminds me of your talk at the NH convention, very interesting.  I'd hate to see this study unfinished.  

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#6 Bob Muller

Bob Muller

Member Services

• Member Services

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Our crowd funding attempt runs out Friday at noon, we are close, but we have to have the full amount or get nothing.  If any of you were considering making a donation please do it quickly.

Thanks

Bob

#7 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

For some reason I cannot get to a spot where I can donate?

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#8 Bob Muller

Bob Muller

Member Services

• Member Services

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

Mike 

I hit the http address in my first post and it got me to the site.  To support the project scroll to the bottom of the document.  I tried typing in the address in google and it would,t come up.  

Try going thru the first post.

Bob

#9 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

I  finally got through good luck.   

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#10 Bob Muller

Bob Muller

Member Services

• Member Services

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Thanks Mike

That really helped we only have 3 days left to come up with $353.  If any of you NANFA members can help we sure are close.  Without full funding we loss all.  Were the guys that will have the data for what the goby might do to your fishes when they get there and there coming.

Bob

#11 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Step up folks, even citizen scientists doing serious work have expenses !!!

d.d.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#12 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

What Doug said!

FYI, I believe they are 84% of the way there. Which means they're $302 shy. If only a couple dozen more of us ponied up we could get there easy. Assuming of course, that a couple dozen of us haven't done so already. (Yes, I am tardy to this party; I ain't criticizin', just cheer leadin'.)

And just in case I missed it up above somewhere; no, your card does not get charged if they don't hit their target.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#13 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

Not to be pessimistic, but if they don't hit their target, I'm going to want an alternative way to get my contribution into their hands.

Doug Dame

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

When does it end? Oops, never mind. Looks like they hit their goal with a day to spare.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Bob Muller

Bob Muller

Member Services

• Member Services

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

We made our goal!  Thank you to all, It was NANFA and local Aquarium club members that gave 90% of the donations.  

Next week back in the river.

Bob 

#16 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

Sweet! Glad to hear it!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#17 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

Excellent.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#18 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:41 PM

Personally, I'm very pleased that:

(1) you're going to be able to do the work, which is important and interesting, 

(2) that NANFAns were able to help, and

(3) that this mode of funding worked for this project. 

Doug

Doug Dame

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users