• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Sorry for the lead-on.  No pics, yet.

Was hoping to get some photos and video of either of those guys next week when I'm in their neck of the woods while they are all fired up and possibly still breeding.  I've seen them sporadically in Copper Creek, VA and other parts of the Clinch system but in no great abundance.  I was hoping someone might share any known locations in SW Virginia or NW N. Carolina.  PM's are welcome if you'd rather not share publicly.  Much appreciated.

Nick L.

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • The Ozarks

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'd recommend that you get a hold of Derek Wheaton. He knows VA well, and I remember he got some nice photos of them a year or two ago. I don't think he's on the forum much, so you'll probably have better luck reaching him through facebook or email.

#3 Yeahson421

Yeahson421
  • NANFA Member
  • Driftless Region - SE MN

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

I was going to say the same thing Isaac did. I got to see some last summer, and they are a beautiful fish. I'm excited to see some pictures from you.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Isaac.  He was my first thought but I haven't seen him online here in a long while.  I'm not on Facebook, but I think I have his contact at VDGIF.  I'll try him there.  If anyone happens to see him on another form of social media, please let him know I'm looking for him.

Thanks.

Nick L.

#5 Yeahson421

Yeahson421
  • NANFA Member
  • Driftless Region - SE MN

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

He no longer works at VDGIF, he is now with CFI. I talk to him pretty regularly, if you send me your email I can forward it to him.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

NC has only a couple records, from the French Broad basin many decades ago.  It's considered extirpated in NC.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the tip Gerald. I planned on staying mostly in VA unless there was a thick pocket of them somewhere in NC. I know if went a little further west into TN I could drown in them but that is further than I really want to go. I'd also like to get some pics of other Va guys within an hour or so of where I'll be staying--probably around the Bristol area. Might dip into the New as well.
Nick L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users