Photo

Richmond, Scotland, Moore counties NC

6 replies to this topic

#1 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm speaking in Queens NY Wed evening May 3rd and since I'll be south of home I'm going to head to NC for a couple days, Thursday afternoon and Friday.  I'm planning on hitting some sites in Richmond, Scotland and Moore counties.  I know weekdays are tough for most but if anyone would like to join me I welcome the company. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

Mike --  I have some field work coming up in SE Moore Co, near Vass, NC.  If I can work out the timing, I can hopefully join you for a couple hrs.  ... Unless the client needs me to get it done sooner.  Any particular target species?  

Also, May 4 is the Raleigh Aqu Soc meeting (7:30-9:30 pm at NCSU Vet School).  Lee Shadbolt from VA speaking on discus.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Blackbanded sunfish, pygmy sunfish, Fieryblack and Redlip shiners and whatever else that might be seen.  I've collected  in those areas before but usually rushed as I was passing through from somewhere else so I'd like to spend some time at a few sites and explore a bit more and check out the other species even non-fish.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

I sent you an email with link to NC Div Water Resources fish community sampling data.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Thanks,

Been looking at that for a couple weeks, it keeps tempting me to just go a little farther in any given direction and add this species or that species.  So many fishes and so little time.

I've got a hotel for Thursday night in Pinebluff. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Rain is looking likely for Thu-Fri;  about 0.8 to 1.0 inch in the Sandhills area Thur afternoon to Fri morning.   I was planning to work in Moore Co on Thu so I could join you late afternoon, but might have to do it Wed instead.  I need to map wetlands, which becomes more difficult when the non-wetland areas are also saturated.  Pond collecting should still be okay, but creeks might be high.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#7 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

The weather forecast has been erratic over the last few days so I'm not 100% sure I'm going to come down but then it seems like out of Thur and Friday I should find a few hours maybe? I guess I'll play it loose for now. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users