Need Help w/Rearing of Northern Pike Project

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mjosephfish_*

Guest_mjosephfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

I NEED SOME HELP! I’m doing a research project on the rearing of Northern Pike and Muskellunge. I was hoping someone could refer me to a web page on the topic. Or give me some more information on the use of hormone injections such as how much, and how often, also when to use them. THANKS!! MJ

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:24 PM

Try contacting these guys. http://www.minnesotamuskiefarm.com/

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

no offense to anyone here and NANFA in general...but what happened to primary source literature? That is what you need, not website information and personal communications.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:27 PM

no offense to anyone here and NANFA in general...but what happened to primary source literature?

Primary source literature??? is that like Wikipedia and Fishbase?....

I'm just kidding By the way as I totally agree that this should be ones first option..

It would really help though if it did not cost $200 plus for access to just one good specialized Journal. Not everyone has easy access to these and unfortunately public libraries no longer carry many of them due to cost . The restricted nature of a lot of journals is really a serious problem to those without resources available.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

I'm just kidding By the way as I totally agree that this should be ones first option..

It would really help though if it did not cost $200 plus for access to just one good specialized Journal. Not everyone has easy access to these and unfortunately public libraries no longer carry many of them due to cost . The restricted nature of a lot of journals is really a serious problem to those without resources available.

I'll never forget the first time I ran into a particularly relevant paper while searching only to find I didn't have access. I figured how much could it cost right :razz: I went to pay the subscription dues, saw the price and though "my wife would kill me". Never did get the information I was looking for and I'm still married.

#6 Guest_madtom15_*

Guest_madtom15_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

How about using interlibrary loan for getting access to primary source material? It takes time, but it's free. Or, visit the nearest research university. Also, if you use the Google Scholar search engine and find a paper that interests you, you might try asking the forum members if they have access to the article/journal and they could just send you a pdf, or perhaps a paper copy through mail.

Travis

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

M is a student at an Ohio State branch campus if I recall. Universities in Ohio are all part of OhioLink or whatever it was called. It has a HUGE electronic journal selection with many fishery related journals. I used to just spend a few hours a week downloading pdf files from entire online volumes. On top of the easy way to get things like that there should still is ILL or on campus libraries. For that sort of topic there should be TOO much information to wade through.

#8 Guest_mjosephfish_*

Guest_mjosephfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

:D I want to thank everyone for your in-put!!!! I’m glad to see people willing to help me out!!!!! Thanks again!!! :-D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users